Smoke & magic are transparent shadows when against the sky?

fixing bugs
  • Author

Re: Smoke & magic are transparent shadows when against the s

thanks so much for your help! i know nothing of textures so good to know they have alphas.
Did you try Clouds For Skyrim mod tho? as i mentioned, that's the mod that supplies most of my clouds. maybe it's textures are different than RC.

as u suggested, i did try the default files that're included w/ 3.15 binary and i did NOT get the problem. but of course there's very little turned on in that enbseries.. i've tried about 6 newer enbseries now and they all have the issue. the other files don't seem to matter. just enbseries, the 3.15 binary, or the clouds lol.
i can't imagine what mod i have that might effect smoke, hand magic ect, but i'll check. but what would i check for; lighting, imagespace, worldpsace?? any skyrim orPref.ini settings that could do that

ok, after daaays of trying everything, i think it comes down to the 315 dll not liking the Clouds For Skyrim nifs. that mod has a BSA (xgfclouds) that has only meshes. no textures. i can't figure out what textures they use. some sorta greyscale i'm guessing.
Could you please try the XGFClouds with the 3.15 dll? it's in BSA, should be quick. at least it woould let me know if it's those nifs

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Sorry for the slow reply, at work.

Sure thing, I'll check out Clouds for Skyrim as well, as obvious as it now seems I somehow didn't realize that it adds new clouds too.

By your description it does sound like it's the culprit but I'll let you know.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Yeah, try this:

https://mega.nz/#!S4EQSYKB!9jRwDqAfO9fZ ... whGf7G3zd0

Just extract to your Skyrim folder, as a loose file it should take priority over the one in the game's bsa (it's not part of the mod).

thanks so much for all your help Mindflux! i'd like to send a donation if i can. to your website maybe. if not to you, than i'll send Boris another. made a few in the past but it's been awhile and never can thank Boris enough either!

anywho, the cloudlut.dds didn't work either, may've helped some but not much. i tried over a dozen presets and all had the issue cept for "Soul Reborn". it had some things disabled, and i noticed enablemist=false. i'd tried that before but think i may've forgot to hot Apply. enablemist=false fixes it! but sucks because i like the mist lol. and i see Realvision 3.15 has some anchors for it i think.
i went thru all skyrim n pref.ini settings. a couple worked but were ones u needed for enb. deferredhadows ect. and i've disabled all my mods. turning off mist in enb seems to be the only fix.

looking at you last pic has me a bit confused. is that smoke going over the Clouds For Skyrim clouds? because i've never seen the CFS clouds be that white for me. they're always varying shades of grey. like u can see on page 4 or the User pics on the mod page. (i think page 1 may be showing off weather module or edge remover)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

No problem at all, I like helping if I can.

Hmm interesting to hear that mist has an effect. Perhaps there are a few different issues at play, not sure. At first when I tested Clouds for Skyrim I noticed alpha issues when other particles where overlapping clouds and tweaking the cloud lut texture seemed to fix that issue. I've been testing Clouds for Skyrim with the modified lut this evening and I haven't seen any more issues. I should have mist enabled but I'm not 100% certain, I'll double-check and do some more testing.

Yes, in that image it's particle smoke on top of Clouds of Skyrim clouds - the reason why it's so white is because I increased particle intensity (Clouds for Skyrim clouds are particles too). You can actually see a problem there too, now the clouds look more or less as they should on a bright day but smoke is way too bright.

i found a bit more of a fix for this. i'm able to keep Mist enables if i lower the DENSITY of day and night (and maybe other times). i started at 1.5 and if i lower to 1.08-1.00 then all fixed!

except now i see a transparent weirdness when smoke trails and lantern glow pass overtop some shadows that are on trees lol

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Not sure that i understood the problem. It could be because i in recent versions draw most transparent objects to second depth and then mix two of them to filter out some effects, including mist. This is good to fix hairs, but when particles are close enough to camera and some fog above montains is far away and they are intersected, opacity bug occurs cause distance of blended transparent depth have too big range near->far. Probably it produce issues.