SKYRIM ENB Effect Demo Videos

post screenshots of enbseries
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

SKYRIM ENB Effect Demo Videos

I decided to create a thread for my series of 'tech demo' videos of Skyrim ENB visual effects. I will add new videos to this thread as I continue to create them.

This video demonstrates the real-time screen-space reflections effect of ENB series for Skyrim, calculating true reflections in real-time as opposed to the standard simulated cube-map techniques.

Reflections Effect Demo - 1080p @ 30FPS

This video demonstrates the image-based lighting (IBL) effect of ENB series for Skyrim, an effect that is only now beginning to appear in commercial video games. IBL is an effect where the scene is illuminated from above by the light from the sky. To oversimplify: a image of the sky is reflected onto the scene. IBL also has potenial applications for interior scenes, but the Skyrim ENB only uses this effect in exterior scenes with the sky.

Image-Based Lighting Effect Demo - 1080p @30FPS

This video demonstrates the underappreciated subsurface scattering (SSS) effect of ENB series for Skyrim, another effect that is only now starting to appear in commercial video games in 2015. Subsurface scattering is the diffusion of light within a translucent material. For more info, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsurface_scattering

In ENB series for Skyrim, subsurface scattering is mostly used to help skin to look more like skin, rather than like leather or rubber.

Subsurface Scattering Effect Demo - 1080p @ 30FPS

This video demonstrates the screen-space indirect lighting (SSIL) effect of ENB series for Skyrim, an effect rarely used in ANY commercial video games to date. SSIL is an effect where light cast onto one surface is reflected onto other nearby surfaces. It can be considered a 'sister effect' to screen-space ambient occlusion (SSAO), working with light rather than shadow.

Screen-Space Indirect Lighting Effect Demo - 1080p @30FPS

This video demonstrates the screen-space ambient occlusion (SSAO) effect of ENB series for Skyrim. Ambient occlusion is an effect that calculates how exposed each point in a scene is to ambient lighting; areas with less light exposure, like corners & crevices,are darkened accordingly. ENB's implementation of SSAO is more sophisticated than most found in commercial games today; it respects lighting and transparency, and applies realistic darkening to affected areas rather than overlaying 'black blobs' as bound in some games. (*cough* ... Far Cry 4 ... *cough*). SSAO can be considered a 'sister effect' to screen-space indirect lighting (SSIL).

Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion Effect Demo - 1080p@30FPS

This video demonstrates the volumetric mist effect of ENB series for Skyrim. ENB for Skyrim allows for volumetric mist to be added to areas of the game world. The appearance of mist depends on weather conditions and requires an ENB preset designed to use the effect, such as Enhanced Shaders NLA.

Volumetric mist helps foggy days feel more atmospheric, and also helps to mask lower quality distant textures and models with a realistic effect.

Volumetric Mist Effect Demo - 1080p @ 30FPS

This video demonstrates how the individual effects of ENB contribute to overall image quality. First a comparison is shown between vanilla Skyrim & full ENB, then individual effects are shown being added in sequence.

Layering ENB Effects - 1080p @ 30FPS

This video demonstrates the crepuscular rays, or sun rays, effect of ENB series for Skyrim. Sun rays are shafts of light perceived to issue from the position of the sun. These rays are tinted orange by the atmosphere they traverse, and are most easily visible at dawn and dusk hours. For details, see the Wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crepuscular_rays

Crepuscular Rays Effect Demo - 1080p @ 30FPS

This video demonstrates two of the many post-processing effects that may be added to any ENB series preset for Skyrim. The effects demonstrated in this video are an 'MS-DOS' style effect that gives the game a 'retro' feel, and a 'painting' effect that simulates brush-strokes to create a painterly aesthetic. These effects exclude the user interface (inventory, map, menus, HUD), so they are 100% playable :)
Pixels & Paint - Post-processing Effect Demo - 1080p @ 30FPS

This video demonstrates the optional 'Depth of Field' effect of ENB series for Skyrim. Depth of field is an effect that simulates the ability of an optical lens to only be able to focus precisely on one distance at a time. Subjects within the focus range are rendered crisply and clearly, while subjects out of range appear blurry and out of focus. This effect requires the installation of a depth-of-field-enabled enbeffectprepass.fx file, many of which come packaged along with ENB presets on the nexusmods.com website.

Depth of Field Effect Demo - 1080p @ 30FPS

This is a video montage of time lapse footage with the camera in motion from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The footage features the ENB preset Skyrim Enhanced Shaders NLA, linked below. The time lapse footage highlights the volumetric rays and cloud shadows effects of ENB series for Skyrim.

Time Lapse in Motion - 1080p @ 30FPS

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/tapioks
Enhanced Shaders NLA: www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61206/
ENB Official Website: http://enbdev.com/

Captured with Shadowplay at 1920x1080 @30FPS on a GTX 780m, ASUS G750JH

Music license info: http://www.bethblog.com/bethesda-video-policy/
Last edited by tapioks on 17 Oct 2015, 20:47, edited 14 times in total.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: SKYRIM ENB Effect Demo Videos

Made some better thumbnails for the videos :)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

These are really great. I hope you don't mind but linked to them on my preset page. So many people say things like - oh reflections don't do anything so turn it off for FPS. I can't play without my reflections!

Also watched the other 3 as I like how they really show, visually, what they do. Nice job.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Thanks! Please feel free to share and embed the videos, I hope they help some of your mod's users better understand how ENB enhances their game, and maybe they will also help some ENB preset authors to improve their presets. I plan to make some more videos of this nature ... just need to make the time to do so :)

What is the link to your preset page?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I found them useful myself, especially the indirect lighting - so I have a better idea of what to expect when playing with it.

Anyhow the presets I manage are at: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50501/? and I added the videos, as a quick measure, to the main sticky on the comments I keep - at the top where I put my permanent notices.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Oh wow! Did not realize you were behind Grim and Somber, that's awesome :)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I think I'll do the same for my ENB! A lot people think X effect does nothing... your videos show very clearly what they do... although with some of them I'd turn the intensity down for actual play ;)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

@Jafin16

Right on! Ya, some of the effects appear maybe a bit strong in the videos, but it helps make them a bit easier to see and understand (I hope...).

Also ... the next video is ready! Adding this to the first post as well...

This video demonstrates the screen-space ambient occlusion (SSAO) effect of ENB series for Skyrim. Ambient occlusion is an effect that calculates how exposed
each point in a scene is to ambient lighting; areas with less light exposure, like corners & crevices,are darkened accordingly. ENB's implementation of SSAO is more sophisticated than most found in commercial games today; it respects lighting and transparency, and applies realistic darkening to affected areas rather than overlaying 'black blobs' as bound in some games. (*cough* ... Far Cry 4 ... *cough*). SSAO can be considered a 'sister effect' to screen-space indirect lighting (SSIL).

Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion Tech Demo - 1080p@30FPS

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Hi folks. I Just updated the FIRST POST of this thread with my latest demo video, this time looking at volumetric mist... check it out!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Just updated the FIRST POST with my latest ENB effect demo video!