World of Warcraft ENB+FXAA

post screenshots of enbseries
  • Author
*sensei*

World of Warcraft ENB+FXAA

Ourageously old crap

This is not my own setup to begin with. Credit goes to the author of ENB Hollywood.
I found a ENB config for Skyrim on the Nexus site for Skyrim called ENB Hollywood
and thought it would be cool to use it with World of Warcraft.
But since the FXAA Bloom is rather dull, I used the Oblivion ENB bloom instead, routing the .ini into FXAA.
Here's the result, playing on private server Molten WoW:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:
Last edited by insomnia_jt on 20 Aug 2013, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

*sensei*

Re: World of Warcraft ENB+FXAA

Awesome.
Sadly I don't play WoW anymore.
And you should say, that nobody should use this while playing on official servers, or Blizzard may ban you.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I tried to make mod for WoW and nobody banned me. May be because my servers located in Russia?

It looks nice man! But I think the effect you're going for can just be achieved with the FXAA injector you're using, the enb isint adding to much because the FXAA seems to overpower the effect it has. Only the bloom seems to stand out, albeit to much.

Maybe try using just the sharpening of the FXAA or the enbeffect file, and focus on enb more than the FXAA. Not sure what time of textures and shaders WoW uses. I'm guessing, spec/gloss, diffuse, emissive, normal or bump.. I think normal, and probably fake baked in AO, probably some transparency maps for grass and stuff.

*master*

Boris
Because they mostly don't ban d3d9 stuff, I know some people using ENB or FXAA inject on this game, without a problem on official servers.

You should try to reduce the sharpening, it's quite overkill there, no? But good job. :)

*sensei*

Thanks for feedback!
First of all I don't know squat about shaders and graphics in general. But I do know copy paste :P
That and some experimenting in the ini and fx files are the only techniques I used.

Blizzard does not ban a player for using ENB or FXAA. But they ask players to be cautious when using these forms of configurations.

World of Warcraft has outdated graphics, no question there. So the only ENB configs that are working is the GTA and Oblivion setups.
The FXAA is used for it's sharpening, saturation, AA, technicolor and tonemap.
And like I said the ENB is used for the bloom.
WoW comes with really blocky polygons and an overall 1999 graphic style, so the ENB bloom blends together the "blocks"
and somewhat hides them. That's why ENB bloom IMO looks better than the FXAA bloom.
Also, I tried to use the DKT70 sharpening effect but that added artifacts on things like texts,
and it didn't sharpen the edged on objects but only sharpened the hud (or something lol).
The sharpening is high because it enhances the textures due to the textures low resolution.
To create high-res textures you have to unpack the .MPQ file and replace the old textures with new ones,
basically hack the game files, which Blizzard will definitely say NO to. :D

I've also been trying to increase the specular lightning with no success, both with in-game console commands and in the ENB.ini.
You're more than welcome to improve this :)

http://www.4shared.com/rar/2_0WHRRG/ENBFXAA.html

I don't know... I think WoW is one of the few games where the developers really know how to make their artist's work stand out as best as it can. I don't think adding extra bloom or altering the colour balance will add much at all, unlike games like Skyrim and Fallout which get bleached by green hues in vanilla.

Take a look at your Crystal Tree comparison for example (the last image in your post). The ENB setting has completely whited out the bright parts, eliminating all detail in the large tree's branches, and the low poly rocks beneath the large tree have been so exaggerated that it looks like a wire-frame view mode. The tree at the back left has also been exaggerated so much that it clashes with the skyline instead of blending into the background.

I think it would take a lot of work to get an ENB profile that genuinely adds something to this game. The poly counts may be low, and the shaders may be ancient by today's standards, but the art style is presented incredibly well despite it all. Here's some shots I took of the Blackwald yesterday, no ENB, DX11, all settings maxed, and resized from 1920x1080 (still looks pretty gorgeous to me):

For a seven year old game with no mods, it stands up pretty well.

*sensei*

Well it's a matter of personal taste. I don't think WoW is artistic at all. It's more "cartoony" than artistic.
For me, 50% of the game experience is addons, mods, plugins, customized UI etc.
Nothing in my WoW is vanilla.
Personally I don't think people play WoW to experience the grahpics, but rather getting hooked on the addictive game play and basically feeling the need to be logged in all the time to do the dailies, check AH, chat etc. And in the process, getting to like the graphics or at least accept it as a secondary aspect of the game experience.
I only tried to enhance the graphics to my own liking. :)

Also this is from WotLK and not Cata. Mists of Pandaria has added even more graphical effects like SSAO.
But still WoW lacks graphics that will draw more players.

Oh definitely, I've completely overhauled my UI in WoW. It's half the fun :P

But an ENB profile isn't going to remove the cartoony art style. ENB can only enhance art styles, and I think Blizzard are masters at creating engines that compliment their art styles already. So while Bethesda games can benefit massively from ENB profiles to add better colour palettes and lighting effects, WoW already has a fantastic complimentary setup in vanilla. I genuinely think the images in the OP of this thread look better in the 'before' shots than the 'after' ones. But maybe I'm in the minority there, and most people prefer the ENB versions :)

*sensei*

I read an interview with the art director for WoW in a swedish magazine. He said that Blizzard was more than capable of making games with graphics that surpasses the intro movies, but then people would have to get computers from NASA...
They chose this style due to it's cartoony fantasy style AND the fact that most PCs out there can handle the graphics.
Don't get me wrong. Graphics aren't everything. It's the first thing you see though.
Skyrim is beautiful, but it's the world it self that I'm in love with. And I'm playing Skyrim on my 360 :P

Here are two more comparison images. It looks better in motion :D
Please bear in mind that the saturation is set a tad too high here, making some colors wrong.