Knowledgebase - Skyrim particles & ENB

share shaders here
  • Author

Re: Knowledgebase - Skyrim particles & ENB

I read your post about ENB lights not working with refractive meshes, but I have a couple of nifs with refraction, and they cast light. I'm not using the particle method though, just a mesh with soft effect + emissive colours. Idk whether that's a factor.

*master*

Yeah I am not yet sure it's related and I'm doing other fx atm so I'll look into it later. It's just a problem with Invisibility spell fx, everything else works.

*master*

This may be of help to somebody as I've had to spend a lot of time digging through the CK to match every magic fx nif file to every spell. It's a list of all spell fx nif files.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... ticles/928

*master*

I did some targeted testing and noted down which flags are OK and which make particles stop emit light. I had to do some corrections but I think at this point the info in the first post is complete and there are no more errors.

*master*

Interestingly enough impact effect meshes just don't work OK with my particle systems added to them. It probably has something to do with the fact that they are fairly instantaneous since I see the particle system activating but somewhat randomly (often after the impact effect should have completed its animation). Likely has something to do with emitter start/stop settings but so far I didn't get a working result. Attached mps addons do work OK but its impractical to register more addons just for single use for this or that impact effect.

So for several spell impacts I ended up using Rudy's method for particle lighting which works OK with some basic emissive color/multiplier controllers. Since impact fx last less than 1s and are not moving no fancy animation is needed anyway.

Just to add a little bit of extra info, I was using some meshes in SSE (Cresty's Distant Mists) that were being picked up by ENB's FIRE parameters, which I didn't want. I turned off "Has Texture Indices" but they were still being affected by fire params until I also turned off "Soft Effect." That did the trick.

*master*

I have published an article trying to summarise my knowledge on Skyrim particles and how complex particle lights can be implemented with them.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... icles/1391

I hope it is of use to somebody and let me know if any information is incorrect or unclear.