[SLE / SSE / FO4] Depth of Field

share shaders here
  • Author
*sensei*

Re: Skyrim SE Advanced Depth of Field

big thanks Marty McFly. works great with my preset. :)

Ewi

*master*

Hey Marty, is there currently a way to do stretched oval (anamorphic style) bokeh? If not could you possibly implement this?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I planned to port most of the gestures this shader had on ReShade over, however I'm sick right now and can't do much, sorry.

*master*

I just downloaded 1.2 and noticed that you already have the anamorphic feature in there! :)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

@MartyMcFly

Hey there sir! I am currently working on my video about DOF for ENB, including a section where I cover this amazing option (as mentioned in a previous post).
I think I now have a decent grasp on the various parameters, though I noticed one behavior I could not control, and I am not sure if this is the intended functionality or a bug?

Please notice in the video below when I move the crosshair dot over the rock wall, the background blurs gradually over time (as per DOF Focusing Time parameter). However, when the dot moves off the rock wall, the scene comes back into focus almost instantaneously. I show my DOF parameters a little later in the video if these provide any insight.

Is this the intended behavior for the effect? It seems it might be desirable to be able to have the 'focus in / focus out' times to feel more consistent with one another; I don't suppose a new parameter could be implemented to provide control for something like this?

In any case, I love the effect, just wanted to share some feedback with you! >_O

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

The focusing time is linear extrapolation between last frame's focus and current frame focus. That means on a focusing change the focusing first changes very quickly, then slower. But as the blur levels are more sensitive to changes close to the camera (2 to 3m make a huge difference whereas 200 to 300 have almost no difference in blur levels) a change from close to far cause fast changes of blur levels, moving from far to close makes slow change. First fast change of focus, then slow change. If fast change happens in insensitive areas, slow change of blur. If fast change happens in sensitive areas, fast change of blur. But hard to wrap the head around that but once you write it down, it becomes clear.

*master*

Marty, is it possible to change focusing time from linear extrapolation to a constant value?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

No, that is just how it works. You have old data and current frame data. If you do focus = old focus, then you never get a focus change. If you do focus = current focus, it updates instantly like in ReShade. So you do something in between, focus = newfocus*value + oldfocus*(1-value) which is linear extrapolation. If value is 0.5 it's basically (oldfocus+newfocus)/2. The stock enbeffectprepass.fx does it like I do and so does every other DOF shader that's available.

If you meant to set the focus value to a constant value, that's what manual focus does.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

@Marty McFly

Ok thanks, I'm sure you understand the code better than I could. :)

If the focus timing behaves in the same manner as the default DOF that comes with ENB, then maybe I just have to configure things differently. As far as I can tell, I think would probably have to bring the 'infinite distance' point much closer and adjust other parameters accordingly ... maybe...? @_@

I can say that even though the focusing behavior for the default DOF and your DOF may be the same (or similar) at the code level, I have not been able to get the same 'feeling' from the advanced DOF, i.e. the transition from near to far focus somehow just feels 'smoother' with the default DOF, even though it does not have as many cool features and customization parameters...

I will keep tinkering ... as always! Thanks again for your input, I will be covering the effect in my next video in any case ;)

New to the community not sure if this is where I can ask this but what's a good baseline setup for this DoF I downloaded it last night overwrite the stock .fx file loaded up Skyrim SE and the entire image was blurry? I tried tweaking the settings but I think I only made it worse so I reinstalled the stock .fx file for now. Any tips would be appreciated I look forward to learning ENB.

PS: my understanding of language to ENB is very small right now please don't bombard me with jargon if possible :mrgreen: