[SLE / SSE / FO4] Depth of Field

share shaders here
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [Skyrim SE] Advanced Depth of Field

So I've released a preliminary build of the new DoF + AO, which also contains various changes I made. If you DON'T want SSAO, nothing changes for you, as AO is disabled by default. You won't even feel it. Also you can use SSAO without DoF, DoF functionality can be toggled off entirely.

What's new: SSAO (obviously) and a new post blur mode, which basically runs the bokeh blur a second time. It's a lot sharper than the gaussian one, basically looks as if you used 3x the quality parameter so if you're into sharp bokeh effect, switch to post blur mode 1 and lower quality for a good fps boost.

To get started with SSAO: as ENBSeries compiles every technique the file contains, I disabled those techniques by default to keep compilation time low for non-SSAO users. To enable these techniques, open the file and set ENABLE_AO_TECHNIQUES to 1, save file.
Click on APPLY CHANGES in ENB UI and voila ,there are now ADOF, ADOF + AO, AO techniques. Also, there's a set of new parameters, prefixed with "AO:". Most of the stuff there is self-explanatory, IF NOT download MXAO 2.0 for ReShade here and read up in the PDF file that comes along with it. Some parameters differ a bit, but most of it is coherent across implementations.
Sorry, this SSAO doesn't have SSIL available - without the ability to sample miplevels, performance of SSIL is unbearably low. SSAO performance suffers from that a tiny bit as well but not so much, the algorithm can run with as low as 4-6 samples (compare that to HBAO+ 32 samples^^) with a somewhat okay-ish looking result. Default params are just fine.
This is AO with 5 samples (lower than ENBSeries quality 2 afaik), no filter (raw, noisy result), still maintaining a stable result (motion flicker is non-existant):

With filter, other scene:

*sensei*

I love you Marty! :)
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT
Sound Card: X-FI Titanium HD
Mobo: ASRock X370 Pro4
Monitor: M340CLZ 34" 3440x1440 100HZ AMD FREE Sync Curved Monitor

*sensei*

Beautiful work. Truly, thanks so much for sharing.

I just did an initial pass through the spectrum of AO options and I feel it is possible to get a subtle enough (for my liking) effect that is still 'worth having' at minimal performance impact.

Looking forward to DOF tweaking. :D

EDIT: The visualization tools are pretty awesome.

Thanks

Ewi
*sensei*

big thanks Marty. that's definitely a big improvement.

*master*

When it comes to your MXAO, is there anything to be done about how the AO looks when fog is in the scene? Especially when I'm in a dungeon, or fort, it has this weird look. Thanks.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Sadly, no. AO must be calculated before transparent objects, enbdepthoffield.fx happens after transparent objects drawing. Nothing convincing to fake it.

*master*

Thats what I figured. My work around is to remove interior fog, and now working on way to reduce/remove fog in outdoors, as well as trying to compromise the settings between my ideal settings under clear conditions vs settings to minimize the negative effect during fog/mist, etc. Thanks for the reply. Great work overall though, it keeps getting better and better, especially with how its coming along with less samples than before in the ReShade version. Great work overall.

Ewi
*sensei*

@Marty

there is only a problem. if your AO is active, TAA no longer works. at least with me.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Huh, that's odd o.O

Guys, are you interested in a port of this to Old Skyrim ENB?