[Fallout 4] Gaussian and gaussian-like bloom

share shaders here
  • Author
*master*

[Fallout 4] Gaussian and gaussian-like bloom

I've put together an alternate shader for bloom based on this article by Intel. It's a bit blurrier than the one in ENB with a slightly lower performance cost... I think. This is the first time I've made something like this, so I'm not sure if I've done anything wrong. (Or anything right.) In particular, I'm still not sure if I did the render targets correctly.

The new shader has two techniques - a blur with 5 iterations on the 1024 render target (as specified in the article), and a blur that does the 5 iterations to each render target like the original code and averages them. They're basically equivalent to the single-pass blur and multi-pass blur present in the default shader.

Grab it from here; http://pastebin.com/zRUJZz9T
EDIT: Updated to remove some extraneous passes.

In-game example | Bloom only example

A few notes...
I'm not sure about the pixel size code and I'm not sure I've set it correctly in the shader, so the values are a little fudged.
I didn't add a prepass... sorry! It shouldn't be too hard to add one, just change the first technique to point to a copy of the bloom function with the things you want in it. I don't use bloom-specific colour tweaking myself, so I never bothered.
An alternative to adding bloom is using a lerp function. It avoids problems like the Institute elevator pretty well, but it's a bit harder to balance.
Please test it out and tell me what you think.
Last edited by roxahris on 04 Nov 2016, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

*master*

Re: [Fallout 4] Gaussian-like bloom

An update. I ported over an actual gaussian blur shader for my Fallout 4 ENB. It's included in the preset, but I realised I forgot to post it here too. Oops! It works in Skyrim SE, as well.

Download it here. Example of output.

It includes a few extra features, like hue shifting and a logarithmic scale adjustable at runtime.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [Fallout 4] Gaussian and gaussian-like bloom

Thanks for sharing this by the way!