[F4/SSE] Natural Bloom 3.0

share shaders here
  • Author

Re: [Fallout 4] Natural Bloom

Oh, yes, indeed, everyone can use my edits ! As far as I'm concerned if anyone shares anything here on the ENB forums, it's free to use as long as the usual credits are given =)

Just be warned that that's bound to be slightly more ressource consuming ! I think ( I'm far from my own computer right now :p ) I also raised each texture resolution, from 1024 included to 64 instead of 512 to 32, in the final PS_BloomMix() function, which may or may not be optimal, as I don't know anything about optimization sadly...

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Wolrajh wrote:Oh, yes, indeed, everyone can use my edits ! As far as I'm concerned if anyone shares anything here on the ENB forums, it's free to use as long as the usual credits are given =)

Just be warned that that's bound to be slightly more ressource consuming ! I think ( I'm far from my own computer right now :p ) I also raised each texture resolution, from 1024 included to 64 instead of 512 to 32, in the final PS_BloomMix() function, which may or may not be optimal, as I don't know anything about optimization sadly...
Great, thank you very much. I have had good success with it so far.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Just to spur some ideas and creativity.

One can just about add anything in any of the files, even certain DoF effects into enbadaptation.fx, if you so wanted too, there is no real restrictions. Just common guide lines that some times shouldn't be crossed. For the photographers out there it's the same as with the Rule of Thirds, for certain things it should/can be broken others it shouldn't.

Try using for instance the Uncharted 2D tonemapping in the PS_Resize shader then use some Vibrance, Grain, Sepia or whatever in the PS_BloomMix and have a go with it to see what can be done with it.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I wish I was a coder so I could know more about bloom and how it works, but afraid I am just a tweaker. Using some conservative settings (based on things I read in this comment thread) I thought I had the bloom looking very good for outside and interiors. Thing is I never tested it inside the Institute. The lights there are ultra-super sensitive it seems. Something that is fine with those bright spotlights inside buildings turns into white out since the Institute. Even a simple blue light bar (the one on the left side of the room where you first enter the Institute from the transporter) turns into a blue ball of light.

The elevator itself is a white ball of fire.

http://i.imgur.com/nn8HY8s.jpg

Looking at the floor:

http://i.imgur.com/kH06G6Y.jpg

Side

http://i.imgur.com/w0knNMJ.jpg

Even turning down everything to once notch short of being non-existent has issues. Which also makes it not good topside. I don't know if this is a code issue or something with the engine. Going to check out the bloom code JawZ has and see if that does the same thing.

EDIT: An example with base defaults and bloom levels at 0.01. Also noticed that it combines totals for both Exterior Day and Interior Day (meaning it will take the values for both and combine for the overall strength for the inside of the Institute).

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5646/2400 ... a41c_o.jpg

EDIT TWO: For comparison here are much stronger bloom settings inside Backstreet Apparel with a very bright spot light that looks fine:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1629/2400 ... 3ca0_o.jpg

Since I also use ReShade I removed that from the equation (uninstalled it) and same thing happens - so it seems related to the ENB bloom (the ReShade bloom doesn't do this).

*sensei*

Try my config, Modern ENB, I'm using Tonemapping and Adapation for JawZ Modular Shader Library, it fixes the issue to some extend. The lighting is still way too bright but you can thank Bethesda for that, HDR are values are very arbitrary in this game, far from PBR.

Here's the shoot of an institute at night:

GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT
Sound Card: X-FI Titanium HD
Mobo: ASRock X370 Pro4
Monitor: M340CLZ 34" 3440x1440 100HZ AMD FREE Sync Curved Monitor

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Thanks - just downloaded and will check it out later today. I am familiar with the basics of JawZ modular set up and how to use it.

If it solves the issue would you have any objection if I used your settings as a base and gave you all the credit plus a link to your own preset indicating where I got the help/settings? I have not done much with adaption (and my tone mapping is only a little better) and having a base foundation to work from would be helpful. But fully understand if that would be a problem.

I am pretty happy with my preset but it is a simple thing created with a lot of trial and error testing. Adaption, from what Boris and others have said, seems to be fairly tricky in its use (and I know how vital good tonemapping is) so having examples to work from tends to be helpful.

*sensei*

Sure, no problem.

Just a note tho - there seems to be a bug with tonemapping/adaptation, occasionally bright lights will go completely dark, like glowsights for example. However, it's pretty rare, so I did not bother with it.
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT
Sound Card: X-FI Titanium HD
Mobo: ASRock X370 Pro4
Monitor: M340CLZ 34" 3440x1440 100HZ AMD FREE Sync Curved Monitor

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

MaxTheUniqueGamer wrote:Sure, no problem.

Just a note tho - there seems to be a bug with tonemapping/adaptation, occasionally bright lights will go completely dark, like glowsights for example. However, it's pretty rare, so I did not bother with it.
Many thanks, I very sincerely appreciate it. I really enjoy tweaking presets and playing with the graphics but my mind just has a hard time grappling with the interaction of code and how it works with color and light theories. So the folks around here who are willing to help, and there are many thankfully, is always something I value a lot.

I did spend some time with JawZ bloom code and that has more control - although the ideal is to get something that doesn't wreck the nice bloom outside of the Institute while also dealing with that somewhat unique location.

Anyhow of to play around tonight with it.

EDIT: The adaption did help but the tonemapping made it worse on my particular setup. So going to use adaption and start fiddling with JawZ bloom code, plus some of my other code, to see what I might come up with. I like what I have so more willing to sacrifice bloom than overhaul the rest of the look. If I can't fix it then the Nexus one will just use ReShade bloom and for personal use I will use the ENB version and just disable it when in the institute. But who knows given time I might find a solution or some one else will.
Last edited by wolfgrimdark on 31 Dec 2015, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

*sigh* and to think I still haven't even set foot in Diamond City... 175h in the game and counting... :D

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

UPDATE: Well I got it mostly under control. Ditched adaption as it acts too intensely in this game. In Skyrim its more subtle but in FO there are plenty of places where it changes very abruptly. It is very disconcerting and I tried a large variety of settings.

Using JawZ bloom file I was able to set a max on things that didn't limit topside that much. Some banding in a couple of specific parts of the Institute though with the bloom. But does work.

The whole problem with the Institute, however, is greatly exacerbated because ENB appears to be flagging the area as BOTH exterior day and interior day. So if you set day to 0 and interior day to .12, for example, its a lot less intense then if you set both to 0.12.

I prefer this original natural bloom a bit more as it made actual light sources more bloomy. On the other hand the one from Jaws also has its perks. Three sample shots.

Elevator at Institute - now under control:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1650/2372 ... be25_o.png

Railroad in Good Neighbor - the neon sign looks much better with bloom I think.

Bloom ON:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1543/2346 ... 3ae2_o.png

Bloom OFF:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1477/2380 ... 2a04_o.png