Photoshop grain effect?

share shaders here
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Photoshop grain effect?

This image had a grain effect added to it in Photoshop. I really like this particular grain effect and have never seen it in a preset. Is it possible to get this type of effect without Photoshop?

*sensei*

Re: Photoshop grain effect?

That particular effect would be embross applied on top of normal RGB noise (with extra noise in the DoF) I think.

Should be possible to do...

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Well, that would be fantastic. I hope someone tries to figure it out! I wish I knew more about coding and whatnot. I would love to do stuff like that. I wonder if you can just get the effect from PS, the coding and rewrite it for enbeffect.

It looks like the emboss is only applied to the background?

*sensei*

It is applied all over, however it reacts more with higher noise levels. Hence in the DoF parts you got normal noise + DoF Noise hence the emboss effect will be stronger there. You can still see it on the armor and sword etc.

And yeah if you can find the code to do it then you can convert it... at least I cannot come with any reason why it would not work right now... since just about all of those PS operations are pixel operations.

*sensei*

Pretty easy..

- Apply a (static) noise filter which has a multiplier based on pixel luminosity so it applies more noise in highlights
- Run emboss filter but instead of leaving it like that add the output to the base color and mix with original color using HSL color space Luma channel... plenty of examples for Emboss online... either single or multi pass... would suggest multipass since its cheaper.

Can be done via effect.txt