Multipass sharpening via effect.txt [revision 1.2]

share shaders here
  • Author
*sensei*

Multipass sharpening via effect.txt [revision 1.2]

Hi guys,
Have fun :)

HQ Multipass Luma or RGB sharpen via effect.txt.

Added noise and letterbox effect after it. Because you don't want those effects before sharpening (so disable those on your other fx files, if present, and use the one's included here instead).

Replaces SweetFX Luma sharpen or other additional sharpening effects.

Features:
Advanced Unsharp mask sharpening
> Amount, Radius, Threshold controls like Photoshop
> Edge smoothing (reduces aliasing caused by sharpening)
> Luma (HSL) or RGB blending, luma reduces edge color shifts
> Some controls to output on screen, so you know what you are doing

Shader is beta release, but likely final as I don't know what else to improve on it, but depends on feedback.

I release here the separate shader, as I am not sure I will add to my ENB (Serenity ENB) but it may be useful for others who don't use SweetFX but do like some high quality sharpening, or, who aren't satisfied by SweetFX sharpening in the first place.

PS. Please don't come and ask for adding color correction code into it, that should be added in enbeffect.fx IMO, and can be added there easily. I won't add it to effect.txt, so don't expect reply.
PSS. Disable other sharpening you already have when testing this.
PSSS. All controls are in GUI, File is setup already so just copy into directory and tweak to your preference
PSSSSSS and more S's. Yes it cost performance, some. So if you're concerned with that, get a better GFX card but don't come and ask to make shader faster. It's not about performance, just quality and options. It's pretty optimized already.

That's it.

If releasing in your ENB config, leave credits and all is well.

Cheers,
prod80

//UPDATES

Revision 1.0:
Initial release

Revision 1.1:
- Applying sharpening on greyscale only, mixing with new texture then blending with original in HSL Luma channel
- Added control to limit sharpening of highlights
* Updated file below as I accidentally removed RGB sharpen. Should work again

Revision 1.2:
- Now applies sharpening based on Depth information - ie. Ability to apply less (finer) sharpening on distant objects
To clearly see what it does; enable in GUI to see edges and toy with the "Depth Sharpening: Far Depth". Should give some finer control and eliminates halo's of fine distant objects like tree branches and distant LODs when using high amounts of sharpening. More natural result.
Attachments
effect.txt
Revision 1.2
(17.8 KiB) Downloaded 809 times
Last edited by prod80 on 28 Jul 2014, 21:10, edited 12 times in total.

Re: [Skyrim] Multipass sharpening via effect.txt (download)

Thank you Prod! It is always great to see more options from mlgENBprosauce peeps like yourself. Thanks again, I shall download and give it a spin ;)

*sensei*

Well have fun :)
It's more of a niche sharpening, too bad cant do more without additional rendering to texture... can do much better sharpening but limited to 1 texture only... so doing multiple layers of different sharpening can do a better job... ie. use this shader to sharpen fine details, as its pretty good at that, and use SFX sharpening to deal with larger details can get you pretty results. Maybe can do something via vertex shaders, dunno, haven't tried yet. Problem always is that AA and Sharpening are fighting each other to death.

PS. added update to revision 1.1 with some improvements

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Thanks for this - give some really nice control :D

i7 11700k @5.2GHz
RTX 4080
32gb DDR4 RAM C16
WDBlack 2TB Gen 4 NVMEe SSD
Over 100TB of additional storage

my Flickr
my videos

*sensei*

Re: Multipass sharpening via effect.txt [revision 1.2]

Added sharpening based on Depth information. You can now gradually fade out sharpening over scene depth.

To best view the effect enable in GUI to view edges, then toy with the "Depth Sharpening: Far Depth" setting.

Enjoy.

*sensei*

Thanks for the update Bas!
CGI ENB

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Many thanks for this code file and update Prod - going to try it out this weekend!

*sensei*

Hey! Question:
Umm... Can I add this in prepass instead? My effect.txt is kinda full and even if I remove Luma Sharpen I'd still be a technique short cuz I'm at 8 techniques now.
CGI ENB

*sensei*

Insomnia
That's impossible... Open the file, it needs 5 passes for the sharpening alone, and prepass doesn't have the required functionality. Only single pass sharpening would work in prepass, but won't be of this quality or user friendly.

Besides, I think about everything you have & use in effect.txt could be added to enbeffect.fx, which would free up the effect.txt file.

*sensei*

Ah ok. Forgive my uncomprehending. I was under the impression that prepass supported multiple passes. Hence me asking. :) Im far from understanding shaders so sorry bout that.

Well there are numerous things in my effect.txt that can be deleted. So I'll try that. :) Thanks for reply!
CGI ENB