ENB log of shader compiler errors

share shaders here
  • Author
*master*

ENB log of shader compiler errors

Boris,
I am wondering if it would be possible for you to pass on any of the errors from the shader compiler to a log file? As it is, if I make a syntax or other error in my code (.i.e. enbeffect.fx) and <Apply Changes> in the ENB GUI, Skyrim will crash and I have no log of any errors. I thought of trying to find a free HLSL compiler online, but I could not find anything besides the Microsoft fxc.exe tool. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: ENB log of shader compiler errors

NVidia FXComposer? I can't output errors, because it's a lot of text which will be below the GUI, so not very usable, especially when multiple shaders output their warnings. Log is what i prefer to not do at all, users with SSD will burn in hell. Try out FXComposer (better version pre 2.0, like 1.8), i'll think about ideal solution for reporting errors, but already thought about it and don't like them all.

*master*

FXComposer works great for this, thanks for the idea.!

*master*

Does anyone have advice on getting effect.txt to compile as an hlsl shader in FXComposer? Why is it effect.txt and not effect.fx? Thanks for any help!

*master*

Nevermind about FxComposer, I have a work around of just also saving as effect.fx. I'm still curious about the naming of effect.txt though. Thanks.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

File was named as txt, because .fx is not format of shaders, file extention for hlsl not strictly defined and users don't know what .fx is, but they can open .txt easily to understand that file is available for editing.

*master*

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity, is effect.txt handled in a different way than the others? I noticed that it does not CTD on errors like enbeffect.fx does.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Enbeffect.fx is required to run the mod, the shader don't have internal dublicate and i ignore case of missing or wrong file as without it all you can see is black-white image with red sky. In the past many users reported this as bug and i'm tired to explain, so changed behavior to crash on errors to stay away from all these. You know, it's very hard to stay cool when hundreds say the same thing again and again and again while it's their own mistakes.