[REQ] Vibrant Bloom

share shaders here
  • Author

[REQ] Vibrant Bloom

Okay, I don't know how much HLSL knowledge everyone has, but this seems like a reasonably simple effect to create.
I'll show you a step by step example of how the effect would work. I'll use Photoshop and Battlefield 3 to demonstrate. (I know of course, enb doesn't work with BF3, but it makes for a nice showcase.)

First, here's the original image (at 50%)

Now, firstly, the effect must crush the black considerably, only showing brighter areas of the screen. (I used the levels tool in Photoshop)

Secondly, it must blur this, to a distance of about 1/3 of the vertical screen resolution (At 1600x900 for example, the blurring size would be 300 pixels)

Then, a vibrance + saturation pass is applied.

And finally, it is overlayed on the original image as a screen pass.

If this is possible to create, and even better, with customizable blurring, saturation and transparency options, I would be ever thankful.

*sensei*

Re: [REQ] Vibrant Bloom

Last edited by Rubber-De-Flubber on 25 May 2022, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

*master*

Hello,

You know that every bloom is actually doing that, right?
It's HDR so it takes the bright pixels only using a threshold that you extract from the actual image, then you can do the bloom in different ways for the blurring...
H & V blur or 4 x samples, etc. there are multiple methods. Gaussian blur is too heavy for a bloom + if you want to be accurate like a lens, it's not the way to go.

If you wanna add more saturation to your bloom, just use any saturation boost code from any ENB & instead of using the image texture, apply it on the final bloom texture.
Like I don't know something like " bloom.xyz = saturatedColor*middleGray / saturatedGray .. etc. You decide with that.

I think there are enough cool & good Skyrim modders out there to give you what you need very easily on your FX as I don't mod Skyrim, I have no clue what are the new stuff that the guys are using & all. ( I should go back to Skyrim one day though :p)

Oh by the way, you change remove the fullscreen bloom in the .fx & apply a threshold in the enbbloom.fx where the zero pass is done like during tempbloom if it's still used in Skyrim bloom.

Cheers. :)

*sensei*

Last edited by Rubber-De-Flubber on 25 May 2022, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

Ice, as much as I love you and your work, I feel the need to point out what I requested a bit more specifically.

I work with 0.75 and 0.76. I don't touch Skyrim or GTA IV when it comes to enb, so as I said, I'm not looking for a way to add this into enbbloom or the prepass, I'm looking for an effect.txt file that will do this separately, or even for you to add a function like this to your master effect.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

KyoteeWilliams wrote:Ice, as much as I love you and your work, I feel the need to point out what I requested a bit more specifically.

I work with 0.75 and 0.76. I don't touch Skyrim or GTA IV when it comes to enb, so as I said, I'm not looking for a way to add this into enbbloom or the prepass, I'm looking for an effect.txt file that will do this separately, or even for you to add a function like this to your master effect.
His Master Effect? I'm the author of Master Effect lol :shock:

Marty McFly wrote:
KyoteeWilliams wrote:Ice, as much as I love you and your work, I feel the need to point out what I requested a bit more specifically.

His Master Effect? I'm the author of Master Effect lol :shock:
I wrote "your"

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Yeah, when talking to him.

*master*

Oh I'm sorry... I didn't know you wanted to use that kind of ENB.

Then you'll have to recreate the bloom passes and you need the HDR to be accessible, I don't know if you can on other versions, sorry :P
Marty can help you better with that, as he has better experience on old ENBs.

What you'll need to do is create different textures though if you want a good bloom.
Let's say you have your image texture, you take it , you divide it by 2. You have your first pass.
You of course do a threshold on the image as it's HDR to only get the bright pixels.
Second pass? you divide the image by 4, etc etc.
Then at the end you blend it together & merge it to the final image.

It's not rocket science to do a simple bloom, but it's hard to do a nice one. :p

EDIT :

OR maybe If I understand in another way, if you already have your bloom, just load the bloom texture in the effect.txt & saturate it here :p

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

The problem is, old ENB versions can't declare new render target textures in effect.txt, also we don't have a texBloom or something, only TexColor, depth and noise, nothing else. This makes it pretty difficult to make a proper bloom. I tried something with gaussian blur but that doesn't work right, performance and graphics - wise. If you could give me some ideas with code examples or that, this would be truly awesome. I know I want much but otherwise...hm.