ENB Building Blocks

share shaders here
  • Author

ENB Building Blocks

Hi all ENB developers/modders/users,
I've been thinking recently about how pain-in-the-ass-ish is migrating some features from one preset to another. Copy-paste method doesn't always work well. With this in mind I came up with an idea of a form of building blocks. In such a scheme a preset would consist of a list of features to be applied. With a proper application/embedded ENB feature such a list would be parsed to create all required FX files with the effects from the aformentioned list. Simple as that :)

Another matter here is adding new features and effects. This can be done with a form of a plugins system. Each effect (like DoF, ALF, Letterbox etc.) will be a separate file in a selected directory. Such a file would containg information of how to apply the effect, is it a separate technique or a function to be called, where it will be called in the FX files and in which one etc. Adding new effect would consider writing such a file and putting it in the ENB plugins directory.

You would aks now why the hell is he writing all this here anyway? The reason is simple - I want Your opinion on this idea. But not only that You like it or not but a true brainstorm to make it as useful/extendible/user-friendly as possible and also easy to create. I'm looking forword a good discussing :D

Bless You all,
MK

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: ENB Building Blocks

So you aim at something like SweetFX shader structure where adding new shaders is quite simple? Hm I think it can be realized with the default system, so adding a new tonemapper for example would be a new file with the new function, has to be #included, and a new line color=somepass(color) or such would be necessary.

I dunno is ENB able to include stuff into the FX files, meaning can You include something into enbeffect.fx file etc. It would require a functionality that parses the mentioned enbeffect.fx and before effect compilation combining them (the FX file and the included one) togather. Someone more familiar with the ENB structure itself then myself, should speak up ;)

Such feature would be of use here, indeed.

MK

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

enbeffect.fx:

Code: Select all

#include "enbxxx.fx"
_oC0=XXXfunc(_oC0);
enbxxx.fx:

Code: Select all

float4 XXXfunc(float4 inp)
{
	return inp*float4(1,0,0,0);
}
I don't know what users found in SweetFX, everything is done already.

Cool feature! Nice to know about this :D

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I wish I could help with this, the benefit is huge and I am sure would be appreciated by every enb user. Are you still working on this?

evok99 wrote:I wish I could help with this, the benefit is huge and I am sure would be appreciated by every enb user. Are you still working on this?
Yes, though it is rather thinking about major matters related to the concept then doing some coding.

Btw. Boris - can the 'XXXfunc' have arbitrary parameters or only the one, as you have listed?

MK

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I just wrote an example, everything is in hlsl standart.