ENB palette editing

share shaders here
  • Author

ENB palette editing

Hello.
I got ENB palette .max file, but I don't know how to edit it to match my preferences. I have long experience with photoshop and almost no experience with 3dsmax, but because it was said it's better for rendering, I choosed it and installed 3ds max 2013 student version (free for me).
If anybody here knows what to do with .max file, please, help me. I just want to make my pallette and I want to know how to do that, no tutorials found.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: ENB palette editing

Better not to do it in 3dsmax if you don't know how to work with it and how to make palettes, photoshop is much simpler, but 3d max gives very powerful control, because all color changes are visualized (including potential errors).

ENBSeries wrote:Better not to do it in 3dsmax if you don't know how to work with it and how to make palettes, photoshop is much simpler, but 3d max gives very powerful control, because all color changes are visualized (including potential errors).
I want to learn how to make palettes in 3ds max, I really want. Teach me, not only me, please, make a tutorial, if you have time (we all have life left). I don't go simpler way if hard way is more productive.

*sensei*

Boris, i hope you dont mind if i reopen this thread?

with latest enb updates for F4, im thinking of creating my own palette for enb setts. Yet i dont like cracked software, and im no longer a student to use autodesk student-support program.

I've decided to open palette.max with blender (free and light 3d editor), and now i have no idea whats should be done next.

can you plz describe (again, i know it was discussed long ago, yet google cant find it for me) the idea of that scene?

palette is a slice of that cube? it sould be lightened by a source? Plz gimme a clue!

thx alot

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I don't have 3dsmax installed, so only can try to answer what i remember and from screenshot in old copy of the site. Palette as 3d model is just a simple way to edit palette and understand how it applies. In image editor you may draw some gradient without any idea what it looks like, is that linear or not, if it have any mistakes with flat on inversed areas. With 3d model you see graph of function which converts input colors to output output=Func(input). In case of gamma function it will look a bit similar to 1/4 part of the circle, in the center of it value is 0.729. Vertical side of palette is just interpolator between night and day game modes, it's not really required, palette is fine as 1D texture. If you want to create and visualize palette in shader, use code like this:

Code: Select all

res=Func(uv.x);
where Func is whatever you like, for example pow(uv.x, 1.0/2.2) for gamma convertion from linear space. Even entire tonemapping code can be converted like that for only gray level as input.

*sensei*

thx, found some tricky way to make it work for me.

*master*

Another good way to do it (or so I've heard) is to put a default palette image on the same layer as a game screenshot in Photoshop. Then color correct the screenshot/palette to taste. Then crop out the palette and save it. Using this palette should recreate your color corrections in-game.