Kermles' Post Processing V6 for Skyrim/Fallout v1.0b

share shaders here
  • Author
*master*

Kermles' Post Processing V6 for Skyrim/Fallout v1.0b

Note: there is a far updated version for skyrim on the nexus, plus other download options and a better description, available here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33593/

Hello everyone! Recently I was asked by someone to upload my postprocessing method to the skyrim gallery so he could try, but as the download counter showed many more people were interested, so I decided I would post it here where more people can see in case they are interested as well :)

What this file is:

My file is a modified enbeffect.fx for TESV Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas that contains a new, versatile post processing method that I have been working on recently. Other post processing methods I tried worked fine, but I felt like they had either the wrong style for my taste or not enough control over the scene. So I started designing my own, based on what I thought were the most versatile ones available, HeliosDoubleSix's Postprocessing 5 and Boris' Post Processing V2.

Features:

--Shadow/Bright spot/mood coloring--

I wanted a way to control colors in the scene individually and based on brightness instead of just running the same control on every pixel. So I wrote a little shadow color control
that lets you define the color of dark areas of the scene without affecting bright parts or making the scene darker, that does not cause color clipping.
The effect can be similar to SweetFX color grading if you are familiar, it is customizable so you can achieve a varied look with it. The control has now been adapted to separately control bright spots as well, so shadow and bright spot colors can both be controlled individually.

Example of on/off with shadow color set to blue:

The advantage of this over SweetFX color grading is that it runs before the optional adaptation kicks in, so you do not see colors of the scene morph around depending on brightness, also the color saturation, brightness and contrast adjustments run twice, once before the color controls and once after, to help any colors changed by the color controls look and act as if they are an original part of the scene.

There is also a mood coloring effect based on the work by the illustrious dpeasant that affects midranges and again is independently configurable.

--Intelligent Saturation Control--

For good measure there is now an intelligent saturation control, that desaturates parts of the image based on their original saturation, so colors that were very bright stay bright, but less saturated colors are desaturated further. It leads to a more contrast-y look that helps things pop out of the image a bit more. Saltr originally came up with this idea and IndigoNeko wrote the color modulation functions.

--Brightness, Contrast and Adaptation--

Besides those main features, I have added several extra controls for brightness that happen at different stages during the postprocessing pass for full control over the scene intensity, and I have reworked adaptation to also slightly increase contrast as well, so your image does not look as hazy when you turn on adaptation. Hopefully it slightly reduces the visibility of the effect while still preserving a comfortable and accurate brightness level for the scene.

--DNI Separation--

All of the post processing controls in the Skyrim file are fully DNI separated with help from JawZ, whose excellent MIXEDenbeffect.fx I decided to write my post processing method in. I have also edited the file a bit to add in HD6's Crisp and Screen Bloom.

Tips

As a rule, when you are using any new enbeffect.fx file, it is best to generate a fresh enbseries.ini rather than use one that has been tweaked for a different enbeffect.fx. If you generate a new .ini my post processing should come out to look very close to vanilla until you tweak the values, however I cannot guarantee what it will look like if you use an already tweaked ini. However if you would like help adapting my post processing to an existing config I can do my best to help, just let me know. :)

When tweaking my file, I advise you to change one variable at a time until you know what you are doing with the values, it sucks to get mixed up between multiple edits and forget how to undo.

If you are experiencing problems when changing color controls, try editing brightness and adaptation values carefully. Remember that brightness/contrast/saturation controls run twice!

And above all please remember, my postprocessing variables will work differently than the similarly named variables in other post processing methods! Tweaking my file may take a bit of learning from what you're used to, but I would be very happy if you try!

Also, if I have made a mistake or done something in a stupid way, please let me know, I want this to be the best file it can be. But go easy on me! I am still learning how to do these things.

Screenshots

I have set the default values to be very close to vanilla post processing, but of course if changed, it can look however you want. Here are some before/after comparison screens with a default enbseries.ini:

vanilla post processing
My post processing V6
vanilla post processing
My post processing V6
vanilla post processing
My post processing V6

Here are some screens using my post processing method with different values and a configured enbseries.ini (the preset I am currently working on):

Credits

If your name is in bold up above, you have been a huge help to me in creating this post processing method and I greatly appreciate it! Thank you so much for your contributions to ENBseries modding.

I am not doing this for credits, I just want to contribute to the community as best I can, please just enjoy using my file! However I would appreciate if you leave the credits already in the file intact so that the people who helped me make this are properly respected. Also, please don't claim that you wrote this file because that is not fair to me, you or the others who helped.

Downloads
Please go here for the version for TESV Skyrim

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33593/[/b]

Use this file with Fallout 3/New Vegas
enbeffect.fx
I forgot to set #DEFINE POSTPROCESSING to 6 in the fallout 3/new vegas file, be sure to do that when you download it.

If you have any questions, comments or want to say hi, please let me know in this thread or in a pm, I will do my best to respond quickly.

I look forward to seeing your screenshots!
Thank you!!!
Last edited by Kermles on 25 Mar 2013, 06:47, edited 8 times in total.

Re: Kermles' Post Processing V6 for Skyrim/Fallout

Nice SS(Screen Shots).
But if it's not hard for you can we see SS before/after?

*master*

Re: Kermles' Post Processing V6 for Skyrim/Fallout

Yes, I will update the post, Thanks for the suggestion :)

edit: To anyone who uses my file and is feeling generous, if you have screens that you are proud of that use my file, I would appreciate very much if you could post some in this thread for other users to see and so I can see what else is possible with my file! I know that I am not the best tweaker around here so it would be a big help to me and could encourage other users to try it as well.