[REQ] Damaged VHS & Analog TV Effects

share shaders here
  • Author

[REQ] Damaged VHS & Analog TV Effects

I don't know a lick of coding otherwise I'd be all over this, but would it be possible to recreate any of the effects typical of old, damaged VHS tapes and analog TV? I'm mainly concerned with Magnetic Displacement Lines, Fractal Noise Interference, Fractal Noise Grain, TV Scanlines, Signal Interference, Block Artifacts. Also, could some form of fullscreen static that flashes randomly, or at least flash intermittently via configurable values be created? I don't have a clue if this is even possible.

All of the effects I mentioned can be seen in the video below. Also, the specific kind of static I am referring to is "Static Clip 7" in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAV2H5je5qY

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [REQ] Damaged VHS & Analog TV Effects

Not an easy task, but it's possible, even with existing multipass effect.txt shader which have timer inside it. But performance is bad, there are too much computations in shifting texture and blur it at same time. I can only guess how hard will be to tweak each effect, better to grab some example video, analyse all "effects" to decide which one is going after another. There is no practical usage for it in the mod, so i don't want to make it.

*sensei*

Or dynamically changing, animated, overlay textures?
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT
Sound Card: X-FI Titanium HD
Mobo: ASRock X370 Pro4
Monitor: M340CLZ 34" 3440x1440 100HZ AMD FREE Sync Curved Monitor

Holy Crap!! this is a BRILLIANT IDEA!!!!!!!!

Seriously, i would REALLY love to see this happen

Or even just film scratches and cigarette burns ( old analogue 35MM effects )

this is the kind of thinking outside the box i would love to see in more game mods, rather than just sticking with making EVERYTHING look like it's on a digital video camera

I truly believe imitating Analogue effects are a good way to diversify the look of games outside the realm they have been mostly taking . it be a nice way to keep things from looking stale by ironically making things look Physically stale.....that's just a brilliant concept in itself

I'm so amped about an idea like this, that i think a Kickstarter.com page should be made to get the funding to have someone code this proper . with PC computers shifting toward 8 gigs of video and higher, i see this as a fantastically original and creative way to use that extra video on older games

I'm glad to see I'm not alone on these forums in liking the old video quirks. It's a real shame you have no interest, Boris. It'd be awesome to be able to use these sorts of effects, especially with a game like Manhunt - then it would be truly the Authentic VHS Experience.

*master*

Quite annoying to do (at least for me) but I did something similar times ago Never used it as people even complain when I use simple noise effect. Shifting took some performance though, i'm not a coder & it wasn't that complex at all :p . on Skyrim it's not fitting at all. Maybe on Fallout 3...
Basically use the TV effect.txt as a base if someone wants to start with it.

Hmm, maybe I'll look into it then... I agree it wouldn't fit with a game like Skryim, but then again it was Rockstar's Manhunt that gave me the idea. I've got a nice, subtle ENB config for it set up but the ingame film grain isn't that good and makes me wish for better video effects :p

*master*

IMHO; the best post-effect we can have on Skyrim is something that mimic the eye actually, as it's mostly a first person game even if people are just addicted on doing pron pictures of Skyrim.
That's what I'm aiming for my settings. ^^

the TV effect.txt on Boris's website is great enough, if you didn't try it :)

No, I haven't tried it yet. Thanks for pointing it out :)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I don't know if somehow possible to switch shaders from game scripts, in that case making something like this one may have sense. Unfortunately i can't even detect khadjiit vision as it's done as simple changes to colors.