[SLE / SSE / FO4] Depth of Field

share shaders here
  • Author

Re: [Skyrim SE] Advanced Depth of Field

Yeah, definitely! A port of this to old Skyrim would be great! :)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

abc75179778300 wrote:Yeah, definitely! A port of this to old Skyrim would be great! :)
Second that. Definitely.
Lian Li PC011 Dynamic, Corsair AX 1500i PSU, i9 10850K @5.0 Ghz, Aorus Z490 Ultra, RTX3090 MSI Gaming X Trio, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB RAM@3600, Corsair MP600 1TB NVME System Drive, 10 TB Storage, W10 Pro 64, Custom Hard Tubing Watercooling Loop

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Aight, noted. Will do when I have more time on my hands.

Experimented with a new DoF blur approach using signed distance fields. It's much slower than this DoF, especially for larger blur radii but as its blur kernel matches the pixel grid, you're entirely free of moire patterns that occur for every common DoF shader. The result are crystal clear and sharp bokeh discs. For screenshotting this might be of interest.

*sensei*

@Marty

Fast circular DOF from this year SIGGRAPH, maybe it'll be of any use?: https://www.shadertoy.com/view/Xd2BWc
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT
Sound Card: X-FI Titanium HD
Mobo: ASRock X370 Pro4
Monitor: M340CLZ 34" 3440x1440 100HZ AMD FREE Sync Curved Monitor

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Interesting! Will port it over asap, found some possible optimization ideas, sadly once the technique works, most devs abandon it and skip microoptimizing or only employ it in closed source environments while the open source is just proof of concept.

Well, even though it's a nice and fresh approach, it doesn't take any care of the color leaking from in focus areas into the blurred ones. Visual-wise you just can't outmatch a naive DoF blur because you have to weigh every single sample. While it's really interesting, something I'd never come up with, it's not practical for ENB when you're after best visual quality. I'd have to separate the far field, focus area and near field in the blur. This would require more additional (HDR) render targets than ENB has to offer as this one already occupies 2.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Just so you know, this ain't dead. I'm currently reworking the DoF - it's a port of very old code that I just quickly revised and then stuffed MXAO into it. And it doesn't make use of any of the fancy DX11 features. And it's not really microoptimized.

*master*

Glad to hear you have plans to continue working on this. Thanks, Marty.

*master*

Hey Marty, I've run across a strange issue. When using a lens distortion shader in postpass, it's somehow not affecting the DOF pass correctly. This is baffling to me, because my assumption was that enbeffectpostpass worked as ReShade does, just affecting the final output.

Lens distortion (pin-cushion here) active:

Lens distortion disabled:

Notice the dof haloing around the doc. This only occurs if the vanilla DOF is active. Is it possible that the vanilla DOF being active screws up the depth info that ENB is receiving?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

So this isn't bug my DoF is causing but the vanilla one? Huh

*master*

Well, I'm using your DOF in the pics, it's just that the bug doesn't happen unless vanilla DOF is also enabled in the background. (You can't fully disable it without modding it out with the creation kit or disabling it from the INI) I don't think your DOF is causing the issue, but what baffles me is how a postpass effect doesn't stretch the entire image. I assumed it's just seeing the final output, but apparently it doesn't?