Skyrim particle patch for ENB

general download section
  • Author
*sensei*

Re: Skyrim particle patch for ENB

Awesome work you are doing here Mindflux, your efforts are much appreciated.

On the subject of grass not accepting point lights, I have done some experiments that did result in point lights working on grass. There is a catch though, I had to convert grass to a tree, lol. See screenshots after which I will explain what I did and what my suspicions are regarding why standard grass does not work:

The reason the grass above is giant is due to the thicket01 model.

What I did was copy the thicket01.nif model (which is actually a tree) and identified its textures as those found in fieldgrassobj01.nif. I also created a normal for fieldgrassobj01 using GIMP (although I am not entirely sure this actually made any difference, it certainly did not help within the original grass nif, more testing required).

I then opened up CK and duplicated the Thicket object in the Tree branch, edited its model to point to my new "thicket-grass" and then manually placed the model for testing.

Upon success, I tried to place the original Grass object and was given an error message indicating the model could not be rendered. Tracing back to how the original grass object is used in the CK, I discovered it is referred to only by a Landscape texture leading me to believe you can only place this grass as part of landscape modeling. I suspect the engine treats all of these types of objects different and regardless of what you do to the nif model, it will not apply point light to them (guessing here).

So good news, it can be done. Bad news, a whole lot of work to go around replacing existing grass with new "tree like" models of grass. Not to mention what it may do to FPS.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Nice! The grass looks really good in the second shot. Also really great to see I'm not the only one tinkering with these things.

And yes, what you wrote is pretty much what I've gathered as well. Indeed grass can be made to shadow properly the way you did, converting it to a static not unlike the rest of the vegetation like flowers and bushes, but the major downside is that afterwards you need to place every single patch of grass by hand and without all the automated controls like slope, range, period etc. Like you suspected, the grass shader attached to landscape textures seems to be very limited in what it can do, and most of the shader properties defined for the meshes are simply ignored, although I have to confess I haven't done any major research on it.

Not really relevant, but one of my other projects (at a VERY preliminary stage, so excuse all the wonkyness):

I know you fixed Water Splashes, but i don't think this is what you were after.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Damned, I feared that might be possible. Did you pinpoint the culprit .nif - watersplash.nif? Are you using COT/RL or anything of the sorts?

Edit: Nevermind, sorted it out.

Okay, this time, it actually relates to the topic.

When you say adhering to folder structure, up to what point? Do we keep "optionals", or "Markarth doors", or just the data folder in each thing, which is presumbly merged with the main data folder.

Also, if we are installing a newer version, can we just follow the instillation instructions and will the old stuff all be overwritten?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Regarding the folder structure, the latter - copy over the data folder contained in each optional folder so that the contents are merged with the main data folder.

Whenever updating you can simply copy over, all old stuff will be overwritten.

I just deployed a fix for the splash, at least for now we'll use the standard mesh.

I killed that Skeever from a distance and all of a sudden i saw "Oil" coming from it's body. So i had to check out what it was and noticed it was the "watersplash.nif". I just deleted it for now.

Apart from that i'm not using any Lighting Mod, just a Modded Unbleak ENB for 0.149 and Pure Waters for the Water.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Svarog
offtopic i don't know what is on that picture, but it reminds me silent hill 3.

mindflux wrote:Regarding the folder structure, the latter - copy over the data folder contained in each optional folder so that the contents are merged with the main data folder.

Whenever updating you can simply copy over, all old stuff will be overwritten.

I just deployed a fix for the splash, at least for now we'll use the standard mesh.
Alright.

Would it be possible to combine everything in one data folder, zip it in a rar and load it as a mod/texturepack?

Also, I use WATER 1.5d, can I still use the comp. patch?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

jabberwockxeno
You mean like an all-in-one pack? It is possible.

I'm guessing you can use the W.A.T.E.R. compatibility patch with 1.5d as well.

Boris
Nice memories of that game. I'm not a huge fan of Japanese games per se, but they know how to tell a good story. Too bad they're but a shadow of their former glory these days.