[poll] Dark Souls modding

Dark Souls modding

Yes, it need mod.
86%
Don't need the mod for it, graphics is good.
3%
Game is bad and hard on consoles, nobody need it on pc.
0%
Game is not popular, so no sense to develop mod.
2%
Better to find another game for modding.
8%

Total votes: 310
  • Author

Re: [poll] Dark Souls modding

SSAO SSIL DYNAMIC SHADOWS DOF AND UNIQUE SHADERS FOR SSAO AND SSIL.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Damn it! I see in Steam that game use Windows Live, which is equal to virus on my pc. Modding will be problematic or impossible. I'll think about buying additional hdd, but someone should test first if game will run with any old version of ENBSeries and after i'll see enough pc screenshots.

Bluetane

Honestly I've never had any issues with ENB series and Games for windows Live, I currently play fallout 3 with games for windows live and ENB and it works without any problems.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I've read some info about game port for PC and this is horrible. I'm not a game fan to f* with it. Why not to buy console to play it, if it's same as on console? I have xbox360 gamepad, but i'll never play it in such games. Also saw pc gameplay newest video, game is not what i expected from japanese developers. Don't want to pay for this game, to spend time patching it and modify graphics, i'm not S&M.

ENBSeries wrote:I've read some info about game port for PC and this is horrible. I'm not a game fan to f* with it. Why not to buy console to play it, if it's same as on console? I have xbox360 gamepad, but i'll never play it in such games. Also saw pc gameplay newest video, game is not what i expected from japanese developers. Don't want to pay for this game, to spend time patching it and modify graphics, i'm not S&M.
Getting info from a news source that just wants to strike bad publicity is a bad idea. I'll explain the full Dark Souls PC situation.

Originally Dark Souls was a XBOX 360/PS3 exclusive game. As I'm sure you know, Japan rarely if ever dabbles into the PC market. Dark Souls however was a really popular game, and many PC owners wanted to get to play the game however refused to shell out money for consoles. So the PC users made a petition. The petition asked From Software (begged really) that the game could be put onto PC and that they would buy the game if they did so. The petition went as high as 80,000+ signatures.

In response to this Namco Bandai(the publisher for Dark Souls NOT THE DEVELOPER), pushed and egged From Software into making the PC port. From Software, in turn, seeing the surge of fans who wanted to play their game stepped up and said "Sure we'll make one :)". But in order to even out the late release of the game they also decided to add on a whole 10 hours of extra DLC content just for the PC version free of charge, as thanks for their fans. They also have the game selling for less than it sold on its original release day($60 -> $40) while still including the additional content. FYI for time constraints explanation, Skyrim was released a month after Dark Souls, so its still a "relatively" new game.

The thing is though, From Software had never developed a PC game before.

They started PC version development about...6 months before now. So they had about half a year to do this sudden port. Early in the development they realized that porting from console to PC was a lot harder than they initially expected, so rather than make it from the ground up for PC as they originally planned, they had to make it more of a console port in order to meet the proper deadlines. They said so and they made sure this was explained many months in advance to the game's release.

Personally, I think it's fine that the game is not a PC "specific" port since they already are doing a lot in this release. The content they added on is pretty substantial from what I'm hearing, and I know when it comes to From Software, they don't cut corners when it comes to content. Everything they do is really well done and a lot of effort is put into it. They didn't have to add additional content when porting the game; but they did, and I know that has to count for something. Also, in that sense it's not really a console port. This is a PC specific version.

The console DLC will be coming out in time, but not for a while.

Secondly, the fact that they listened to a petition from the PC community to bring a game that they initially had no intentions of making for PC, TO the PC, says a lot about the developer. They care about their fans, and they show it a lot through their games and what they try to do with them.

Third, it's their first PC game. They seriously took a huge risk with this game and bringing it over to a new market, and I dunno, I really respect them for that. They didn't have to listen to their community or care for their fans enough to bring the game at all. They could have just left it as "If you want to play this, buy a console." but they did it, not for just money (and it shows, since the game is actually cheaper than it's console counterpart), but because they actually care about their users and fans....

I dunno, I think if you tried the game you'd maybe like it. It's really good. I've also seen the PC previews of the game so far and I have the console and I can say it looks about the same, if not slightly better than the console version. It's a huge game with substantial content, and I feel like it's the sort of game that you can't really experience by watching a small snippet of it; you have to play it and experience it with your own hands.

I just don't think it's fair to bash From Software. They're actually a good game company and good people. I mean how can you look down on a game company whose motto is "We don't go chasing after what's popular in the industry. We put enormous emphasis on simply making the kinds of games we want to make."? Source

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Sorry, but i changed my mind about consoles and pc several years ago. One thing is to have high quality graphics with pc version with bad on console and absolutely different to see identical port. Fable was released on pc, Fable 2 was not, that is only bad case, but only for those players, who don't have money to buy the console (and to buy pc game too, they download it). For developers pc platform is very risky. You believe that FromSoftware are so good folks that did pc version and risked? No, they just want to earn as much money as possible, forget about "think about users", this is not exist in game industry any more, business and nothing else (whatever developers say, producers and managers are above them). DRM in the game is another proove of my words. Real risk is to release at same time pc+console version, not year later after first release when game is not sales any more. Hard to port xbox version of the game to pc? No thanks, i don't like fairytales. May be they just afraid to not get enough sales from pc version (classic pc gaming is dead), so not bother with changing something, but why should i? It's not Star Ocean or Final Fantasy and not even Bayonetta. Dark Souls (from what i saw in gameplay and read in description) is just western fantasy rpg, you don't play by harismatic character, friendship relations, love, there is nothing interesting like in good japanese games. Don't know, may be later somebody publish more attractive gameplay video with good quality (can't see anything on xbox360/ps3 movies), now this game is at same level as german rpg.

What you're saying is pretty much correct, Boris, but I do think From Software cares about it's fans. They've always dealt in really niche genres and they seem to like making the games they've made. They definitely wanted my money though, for sure.

As for what you said about the quality of the game compared to other JRPG or WRPG's, I can't agree. This game and Demons' Souls have a pretty deep soul in them, it feels really good to play them for whatever reason. The atmosphere, sense of accomplishment, and dungeon crawling is really great and you CANNOT get a sense of what this game is about from any videos, or even from watching a stream. The closest thing I've seen to getting a feel from the games' is this music video, funny enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bskAwFTOsyA

Anyway, I guess that's a "NO" to ENB in Dark Souls ;) . Still though, after playing it for a bit I'm only upset with the fps cap, the screen tearing which I might be able to fix, and how the colors get all mixed together and blurry - I don't know the graphical term for it, sorry :cry:

How's this Boris?

*sensei*

ENBSeries wrote:now this game is at same level as german rpg.
:lol: Which german rpg did you had in mind?

If only every dev developed games like witcher 2...
excellent graphics , removed DRM in first patch, excellent gameplay and story...

if dark souls is even close to witcher 2 , it will be one of the best games of the year :)