Improve TAA at cost of performance to remove ghosting bug
62%

Total votes: 143
  • Author

Re: [poll] TES Skyrim Temporal Antialiasing

ENBSeries wrote:CorvoAttano77
Long time not heard something like that :lol:
So... that's a no? :oops:
ENBSeries wrote:TAA can be replaced by other antialiasing techniques, if they are faster and have same result. I don't know how to measure performance of current TAA for most popular videocards and display resolutions, so not sure if it still be faster than supersampling x2 for example (as TAA is the same by result).
TAA is much faster than 2x supersampling on my system and it's hard to imagine any system where it would be slower. That said, proper 2x rotated supersampling would be awesome if you could do it.

@Blackjack
Well said.
Last edited by CorvoAttano77 on 01 Sep 2013, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

*sensei*

Well i am unsure what to say.
I barely notice the ghosting with TAA on. And only when in certain places fps becomes low i notice it.
Does not bother me because i have to look hard to see it.

The question is how much performance hit. Only tests can say.
Sound :: Creative X-Fi Titanium

*sensei*

Alot of people are using presets that have enough Bloom for ghosting to become a problem, so I say fix it. Maybe you can add an option with and without the fix, like a "FixTAA" parameter or quality setting in enbseries.ini. I'm not sure if that's possible, but some people would appreciate it.

Temporal AA does ghost during movement. I can see how it would be annoying. But I don't know what you guys are talking about as far as performance. I don't notice any hit at all. I checked several times to be sure I had TAA enabled, because I couldn't believe there was no FPS drop. It looks reeeeally good for screenshots. I love it. Don't get rid of it.

Thank you for all your hard work, Boris. You have skills that seem god-like to me.

I have to laugh at the preaching going on... "Isn't ENB a graphics enhancer?" ... Yeah, partly. It also includes a memory manager.... FOR BETTER PERFORMANCE. In fact it was released as ONLY a mem manager on the Nexus. Spend just a few more seconds thinking before you spout a half-baked opinion. Or don't spout it at all. Even better.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

This is a hard one for me. Part of the reason I love TAA is I get no performance hit and excellent quality. But at the same time ghosting is annoying as hell! I don't even use a preset with a lot of bloom and when it rears its ugly head, man is it ugly. At the same time, I don't notice the ghosting when using 0.212. I only notice it in 0.213 now.

I guess go for it, and see what kind of performance hits it results in and if it's just too bad it could just be reverted or it could be used as a screenshot tool (like super high quality DoF's and such already). That said, to have the option to have improved TAA for higher quality or TAA as it is now with ghosting as something to toggle on and off would be nice.

*master*

Temporal AA is an extremely useful thing, and while I don't mind the ghosting in gameplay, it does make any screenshots that aren't taken with the game froze have artefacts. I'm all for the idea of adding an option for extra quality TAA. However, as the current TAA is rather light on performance compared to other things, I'd really say it should be provided as an option if it really does provide a quantifiable hit to framerates in the way TAA doesn't.
Goliatron wrote:I have to laugh at the preaching going on... "Isn't ENB a graphics enhancer?" ... Yeah, partly. It also includes a memory manager.... FOR BETTER PERFORMANCE. In fact it was released as ONLY a mem manager on the Nexus. Spend just a few more seconds thinking before you spout a half-baked opinion. Or don't spout it at all. Even better.
Why don't you follow your own advice and spend an extra moment thinking (if your brain can even handle the load) instead of spouting such high-horse drivel? ENB has been a graphics mod from the very start. It's arguable that without the memory manager included in recent ENBseries there would be no room for extra improvements that wouldn't instantly exclude all but those with high powered systems. That it has benefits to the game even without the main graphical modifications in ENBseries is an added plus and symbolic of Bethesda's lazy methods in putting together the game.

Haha, MY opinion is high-horsed one. Got it.

*master*

TAA is definitely a great feature of your ENB. Great quality with low performance impact.

The question is complicated. With presets with not too much bloom, it will only divides perfs by 2 for no visual gain. So more bad than good.
With others, that are often related to quality, it will be annoying and require a fix and perfs impact would not be so crucial.

Of course people can use FXAA or SMAA instead. But I am afraid TAA would be put aside then, at the cost of reliability (using 3rd party features). Yet, TAA is already put aside from presets because not compatible with sli/crossfire, so not usable in a public product. Only advanced users with single graphic card would turn it on and disable other sorts of antialiasing, which is a pity.

Ghosting is a minor issue comparing to sli/crossfire issues, where global framerate is already divided by 2. SLI/Crossfire machines became rather common, not because of people that requires monster machines, but for people that requires perf boost at a reduced price (GTX650 or GTX660 SLI are quite common).

So : losing 7fps instead of 3fps wouldn't bother me. So I voted to fix it as it would remain better and more reliable than any other AA method. Proposing both versions is a solution if you manage to avoid duplicated code (with a condition for example or a goto, even if ugly).

But passing from 40fps to 20fps for multi-GPU users is a more big issue... I know you don't have the rig. The solution would be either to give you funds to buy a new PC, or using a people SLI computer as a virtual machine, hoping your internet connections are fast enough. At worse, doing fixes blindly and let people test.

So : Fixing multi-GPU issue is more important if you want TAA to be used by more than a few people, and possibly less complaints due to 3rd party solutions use.
Asus P8Z77-V, G.Skill TridentX 2x4go PC3-19200 CL9, Intel Core i5-3570K (3.4 GHz), Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 WindForce 3x OC(335.23), Samsung SSD 840 Pro 128go+500Go 7200RPM SATA III, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, Windows 8.1 Pro x64, The Grim and Somber ENB

This is the first version I have used the TAA as the helper mod gave me fits before. with this version It looks awesome, I have very little performance impact and I have no ghosting, don't get rid of it. If you do fix it for those that do have ghosting if the performance loss is too high only very high end hardware users will use than anyways. Thank you boris

*sensei*

Voted ignore on fix.
There are other AA methods that are working for people that are using high bloom settings.
The risk with having other bugs when fiddling with load order doesn't outweigh TAA ghosting. The effect is nice, no doubt, and Boris you've made some amazing progress with it. But it's implemented and it seems to be working for most users.
If bloom causes issues, then I guess the bloom lovers (like myself lol) simply have to deal with it on their own.