Ignore ghosting bug, doesn't matter and TAA don't need too
38%
Improve TAA at cost of performance to remove ghosting bug
62%

Total votes: 143
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

[poll] TES Skyrim Temporal Antialiasing

Ghosting artifact of temporal antialiasing (TAA) is annoying when bloom is high enough or sun rays. It not visible when camera not moving/rotating. What is it actually is visible on attached screenshot.
Fix means that temporal antialiasing must be applied before any 2d post processing, so for hdr images, which are twice slower to proceed.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [poll] TES Skyrim Temporal Antialiasing

For me, the effect of TAA is negligible when actually playing, so I'd rather save on performance. I only use TAA for screenshots, when that last bit of antialiasing actually pays off. In normal gameplay SMAA and EdgeAA are enough for me.

Midhrastic WIP ENB for Fallout
More current and archived shots on my Flickr. Selected shots via Flickrock or Fluidr.

Didn't know it was related to Bloom, good to know...

In normal gameplay it's only really annoying when there is FIRE around the character, or the character is ON FIRE (cloaks do this too).

My suggestion, if it's possible: why not keep both forms of TAA? Like you have multiple types of lots of other things on ENB. That way people with slow computers can use the one with ghosting, maybe lowering bloom... and people with good machines can use the more demanding one.

Ignore this suggestion if it's silly.

Seems to me that in order to remain useful, ENB shouldn't exclude low-end machines, but shouldn't stop adding new features for those who can handle it.

Cheers.

EDIT: just read the topic on .213 and realized my suggestion might not be possible... oh well, if performance of entire ENB has to go down for TAA to be better, I change my vote to "screw TAA".

Isn't ENB a Graphics enhancer?... yes it is!! so you should never trade graphics enhancement for performance. If people don't have enough power to use fixed TAA then simply don't. Go buy new hardware as this is a graphics enhancer, and as such, should not trade graphics quality for performance, ever (within reason).

And before someone says that I say this because I have a powerful machine... no, I have a 660 ti, I simply believe this is the way it should be done.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Aminados wrote:Isn't ENB a Graphics enhancer?... yes it is!! so you should never trade graphics enhancement for performance. If people don't have enough power to use fixed TAA then simply don't. Go buy new hardware as this is a graphics enhancer, and as such, should not trade graphics quality for performance, ever (within reason).
totally agree with you on this. Quality over performance is must, this is what ENB is all about. I hate when people want everything for nothing.
Last edited by charlievoviii on 31 Aug 2013, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

Will the performance hit also affect people who have TAA turned off?

*sensei*

Don't bother with it.
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT
Sound Card: X-FI Titanium HD
Mobo: ASRock X370 Pro4
Monitor: M340CLZ 34" 3440x1440 100HZ AMD FREE Sync Curved Monitor

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

CorvoAttano77
Long time not heard something like that :lol:

TAA can be replaced by other antialiasing techniques, if they are faster and have same result. I don't know how to measure performance of current TAA for most popular videocards and display resolutions, so not sure if it still be faster than supersampling x2 for example (as TAA is the same by result).

For me the big selling point of TAA is that it solves most of my AA needs while not crushing my performance, and now that it no longer requires helper mod it's pretty much a done deal for me to use.
on my system at least, I barley notice ghosting at all, so personally I'm against fixing it if it will impact performance.
I'm all for bug fixes and improvement, just don't want to lose the good performance I have for something I don't see much of.
This of course, is just based on my personal experience with TAA

Edit: @ Boris, Of course if you come up with another AA method with good performance, I'm all for it ^.^

Aminados wrote:Isn't ENB a Graphics enhancer?... yes it is!! so you should never trade graphics enhancement for performance. If people don't have enough power to use fixed TAA then simply don't. Go buy new hardware as this is a graphics enhancer, and as such, should not trade graphics quality for performance, ever (within reason).
If that were true then things like FXAA, SMAA, TAA, and tons of other graphics techniques wouldn't exist. The whole point of these techniques is to get the most benefit at the lowest cost possible. Results vary. Otherwise, what's the point, just apply massive amounts of super or downsampling... it will get the best graphics candy at the most prohibitive performance expense.

The issue is more complex... what is better? Excellent ambient occlusion and no anti-aliasing? Excelent anti-aliasing and no ambient occlusion? Or, if you can't get max, a little bit of both?

Having the option of a lower demand TAA will allow you to combine it with DOF, AO, Reflections, etc... it's no use if you have awesome TAA, but you have to turn off other graphics enhancement features in order to play. The end result will be worse graphics, not better.

ENB has always had options to use different qualities of filters, types of effects, etc... so that everyone can tweak the best possible results for the most machines out there. You can't make software for machines that have infinite performance, and you can't argue that you only care about users that have 3xTITAN Ultras on SLI, because no one will use your software if you do.