[poll] TES Skyrim NEXTGEN

• Author
*sensei*

Re: [poll] TES Skyrim NEXTGEN

Kyo and mindflux said it well ^^
+ skyrim still got a large modding community and still sell very well "I think" on Steam:>
But I am not sure how long there is to next elder scroll game or their mmo, atm those only will most likely reduce skyrim players by a huge amount (mmo might go crash and burn like lots mmo´s these days):>

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

mindflux
Dx11 development at least require different hardware (and win7 license), but i'm tired from buying not working hardware and accumulate money to buy house, so i'm sceptic about gta5 modding too. Porting skyrim to dx11 can be done, i thought about this, but only little quality improvements for ssao came to mind, features like tesselation do not work without changes for geometry and textures, so basically i can do all in dx9 for skyrim and only limited by some missing data from engine.

Goliatron
I want temporal antialiasing, but nobody helps me for that. Here is the topic as example, simple task, but who cares? Right, only i do. http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/145278 ... each-cell/

Boris, I have hundreds of hours logged into skyrim, and i've never bothered to complete even 1 quest-line, so I have hundreds of hours to go. This game isn't like an MMO, most folks don't stick with it every day, day after day, for years on end. We play it, then put it down, then come back a few months later, grab some new mods, the newest ENB, and play around for a few more days/weeks. So, regarding the question of Skyrim's longevity, I suspect, just like it's predecessors, it will have a thriving community for at least the next two or three years at worst.

Personally, I don't think Skyrim's lifecycle should in any way factor into your decision-making process as a modder. None of us know what's around the corner. As unlikely as it sounds, Dragonage 3 ( or some other game) may captivate all of us with all it's graphics, gameplay, and modding community, and Skyrim could be left in the closet to rot. Or, the next 5 years could be filled with shit games, forcing all of us to stick with Skyrim.

Since none of us can predict the future... you see where I'm going with this?

I'm gonna get alot of shit for saying this, but personally, I think you've done enough. If you want to take it further, regardless of the work involved, you have to do it because you want to do it, fuck what we think. I was happy with v119, and you've taken it all the way to the .15x, with bells and whistles I wouldn't even have thought to ask for. You are already a hero, man. Maybe you should quit as the hero instead of developing long enough to become the bad guy.

*sensei*

Boris,

I've asked for the higher quality AA in the new ENB code for Skyrim quite some time ago, and have not spoken about it since because I know it's quite difficult to do. After seeing what is required in the Creation Kit, I'm not sure if you should have to do that work on your own. Maybe if someone were able to do the CK work for you so you can get those computations, that would be cool, but otherwise, I would not pursue it too much.

As Mindflux stated, the DX11 coding of ENB seems like a logical step forwards. I have played some DX11 games, like The Witcher 2, for example. Even though the graphics are alot better than vanilla Skyrim, the graphics are not always better than Skyrim modded with ENB. The overexposed bloom looked terrible when I loaded it up a couple of weeks ago. Color corrections may not be needed for that game, but the True HDR and Post-Process code could do wonders. And for other games as well.

Another example. SweetFX has done wonders for some DX11 games like Dishonored, just by adding a bit of user control to the colors, etc. Now I can only imagine what that a game like that could look like with a user in control of it with ENB settings.

I understand that you have other more important goals as you mentioned, buying a home. That's one of the most important goals in anyone's life. Don't worry too much about us, you've given us alot to play with already, and most of us haven't even seen the full potential of these tools yet.

But if you ever decided to modify for DX11, then...... :D

*master*

Everyone else has wonderful opinions about where ENB should be taken. A DX11 port would be fantastic, but at the same time, you should work on what you want to.

If it's possible, maybe you could contact Bethesda and show them what you've done with the game without any use of the Source code. Now, I don't know how Bethesda works, but perhaps if you ask for the source code on a strictly nonprofit use, they might co-operate on something? I think it would be worth a shot, if you could. I don't really see a reason as to why they wouldn't let you other than a risk of possible info leak, but other than that, they would essentially have more work done for them under free labour. (Donations are an exception ;) )

The only issue would be to actually get a hold of them first... Then it's a yay or nay on their decision.

*master*

Honest answer: no, I won't be playing Skryim years from now.

On the other hand, Skyrim's engine might be similar to Fallout 4 when it releases. Bethesda is notorious for making only marginal improvements to their technology. Skryim was probably their biggest leap since Morrowind.

i5-2500k 4.3 Ghz, GTX 580 1.5 GB, 8gb RAM

*master*

i am planning on a series for skyrim this will take me several years. i am using this enb and hope this will develope further. its just a fan project but the story developed over 2 years now and i am filming on the teaser trailer for it coming out this weekend. I love this enb and better effekts + better performance is the greatest wish. It is incredible what you created for skyrim :) hands down :)

*sensei*

I will play Skyrim until TES VI comes out.
Sound :: Creative X-Fi Titanium

*master*

People, likely even myself, will continue to play Skyrim until the next Elder Scrolls is released. That will probably be in about five or so years. As the modding for Skyrim is super-prolific, there's no real reason to expect people to stop playing it, as there is a constant stream of new content. Furthermore;
trillville wrote:On the other hand, Skyrim's engine might be similar to Fallout 4 when it releases. Bethesda is notorious for making only marginal improvements to their technology. Skyrim was probably their biggest leap since Morrowind.
When the next Fallout is released, it'll quite likely be similar enough engine-wise to Skyrim to allow you to port things over. However, in the worst case scenario (i.e. Bethesda decides to redo things for next-generation consoles), you'll still have lots of people playing Skyrim for years to come. And wouldn't it be true that experience you gain from things done now will likely help in future?

Boris, I want to take a look on that with practical purpose. You're developing some new technics and effects and upgrading the existing ones. You SSAO for example is the best of all other SSAO effects seen in any other game(and that one included in nvidia drivers is ubershit). And if you will develop and invent for the future, you will be allways on the edge, step ahead. Unless you stop developing one day, but you could release sources then if you'd like to.

On the other hand there are lots of programmers, lots of companies and game/graphic engines, obviously you can't stay ahead and beat them in all aspects. But also there are shitty consoles and all is being downscaled to performance of current console generation, so you are one of very few PC-only-oriented developers, I think. And you're pretty good at this battlefield.

All I want to say: These nextgen effects will be useful one day either for yourself or for anyone using your code. I think you should work on it, if you can spare your time and efforts.