[poll] TES Skyrim NEXTGEN

• Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

[poll] TES Skyrim NEXTGEN

EDIT: voting finished, 144 vs 31 users preffered to have extreme quality and effects for the future.

I can't make many effects, because they require a lot of computation power (because of no source code of skyrim engine renderer) and i don't have any help from modders/scripters to make tricky walkarounds. One thing is still bothering me - does anybody plan to play the game in future? Cpu performance is stuck, but gpu progress is almost the same. I can not just increase quality of existing effects, but to add new which have very low performance because of bottlenecks of existing desktops. As i understood (never tried myself), game allow to setup level of details distances freely at cost of performance and memory (if too high, then crash to desktop should happen or infinite loading screen), i can make changes to run on 64 bit systems, but not sure if the game can run under such conditions, amount of internal entities is too big (and again no sources - no solution). I don't ask opinion which effects to develop, so please do not post useless things which i know already or can't make by some reason.

Re: [poll] TES Skyrim NEXTGEN

to be honestly, no, don't think I'll keep playing this game after several years, but i understand the people with hd7990 or gtx690 want these "extreme presets"

If i may tell my personal opinion....rather than working on adding new effects, i'd focus on getting the highest performance, just to minimize the fps drop!
Of course, it's my personal thought, and i truly respect and appreciate your awesome work Boris! :)
Cheers

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

You may decrease quality of effects or turn them off at any moment. Why should i optimize them even more if such effects are too much complex? Want Crysis quality at performance of Mario Racing? Everything have own cost, nothing comes for free.

*master*

Given that modding is just now really starting to get going for skyrim, I expect to see enough content to keep me playing at least another 2-3 years. After all, people still play Oblivion, and even Morrowind, and how long ago were those released?

The only thing I can think of that might change that is if Bethesda released a TES game based on the Unreal 4 engine, which I know is not the ultimate engine, but I do like the ability to play the game from the editor so you can see what you're changing while you change it. And it has more physics built in than the current TES engine.

don't see myself playing skyrim in two years, and when the hardware comes powerful enough for this as there will be another new game and all the work Boris can do now will be time wasted in my opinion,

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Even if I stop playing Skyrim for some months, I'll probably come back to it after that.
Anyway, no ass licking here, 2 things keep me interested in Skyrim : 1st : ENBSeries, 2nd : new textures, weapons and armors mods.
Means that if you keep improving, I'll keep playing for sure, so it goes both ways.
Do I wish you can make new things for 64 bits OS and über hardware ? Optimize for SLI systems ? Make our GPUs burn ?
Oh HELL YES !!! :D
Lian Li PC011 Dynamic, Corsair AX 1500i PSU, i9 10850K @5.0 Ghz, Aorus Z490 Ultra, RTX3090 MSI Gaming X Trio, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB RAM@3600, Corsair MP600 1TB NVME System Drive, 10 TB Storage, W10 Pro 64, Custom Hard Tubing Watercooling Loop

*sensei*

TES games have always been one of those that you always return to at some later stage because there is so much to do... so I do plan on returning at a later stage to see what has happened.
I remember playing oblivion both before and after FCOM... made the game feel like an entirely new experience, even though it was a chore to make it work.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I'd approach this question the other way around and think what you'd like to do with ENB. If you want to keep developing a next generation iteration of ENB, I guess Skyrim is pretty much the only viable platform (notwithstanding DX11 of course, more of that in a bit) - there's probably no other game that would have as much as flexibility and longevity as Skyrim. Most games are played for a couple of weeks, maybe a month after the release, after which most users simply lose interest. GTAV will likely be another such game, but it will probably also mean a transition into DX11.

Speaking of DX11, have you considered your stance about it? It looks like more and more DX11 games are being released today. Most of them already have pretty nice effects out of the box, though, so I'm not sure whether it's interesting to develop versions for them if it's only going to be for the basic stuff. Even so, I was playing Most Wanted (the latest NFS) the other day and couldn't stop wishing I'd have the ENB arsenal at my disposal to get rid of all the ugly stuff.

For me, I'm mostly interested in ENB, not any single game, so if you decide to make another game your main project, I'll switch to it.

Make the ENB AA better!!!! Since now we can't do what works the best, hardware AA, and you've hit a wall with adding more effects... Help us get rid of our jagged edges!!! The move away from hardware anti-aliasing has been a major thorn in my side since it happened, and those jagged lines in my screenshots have bugged me contantly. Can you make your AA better without killing perfromance? I would GLADLY give up image-based lighting, reflections, skylighting, etc. for BETTER AA!!!!!