TES Skyrim 121212 optimization

Which effect require optimization the most for your videocard?

You may select up to 4 options

View results
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

TES Skyrim 121212 optimization

I can't test the mod with various videocards, performance also greatly depends from display resolution and quality parameters in enbseries.ini, so i'd like to know which effects require better optimization.
If possible, for requested optimization write your videocard model, resolution used by the game, quality properties of effect you wish to have optimized.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: TES Skyrim 121212 optimization

Sorry if it sounds stupid Boris, but do you talk about performance or quality optimizations ?

Coz, performance wise, I really can't figure HOW you could do better. There's been such a HUGE evolution recently....
I can now increase SSAO sizescale to 0.707, even 1.0 without killing my GPUs :D with all effects on, and better qualities on. All this maintaining a constant 45 to 52 FPS in exteriors, with tons of re-textures.....
And it's not related to my system. Mean, if I had raised sizescale to 1.0 with 0.119, I would have had a 15 FPS drop :D
SSAO is hugely optimized IMHO. If optimizing its performance again means losing quality, please don't touch it ! :)

Frankly, the only optimization I could ask for is that IL addition to Skylighting effect you talked about recently....
I'm using GTX580 with 306.97 drivers and play @1080p resolution.

BTW, what about the volumetric sunrays you were planning to add when starting developping the effect ?
Lian Li PC011 Dynamic, Corsair AX 1500i PSU, i9 10850K @5.0 Ghz, Aorus Z490 Ultra, RTX3090 MSI Gaming X Trio, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB RAM@3600, Corsair MP600 1TB NVME System Drive, 10 TB Storage, W10 Pro 64, Custom Hard Tubing Watercooling Loop

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I mean performance only optimization (quality changes will be made, but it's different). Possible to optimize even more, but development time and target auditory? Of course nobody will play with complex effect using 50$ videocard and i don't know priorities for users in effects turned on, some may like ssao quality 2 at 1.0 sizescale, another ssao quality 0 and sizescale=0.5. If all effects are too much slow for users with budget models of videocards, i can make absolutely different optimizations based on motion blur.

You said in the skyrim thread that you could "optimize the mod for a crazy amount of grass". What did you mean by that? If anything is possible to do about grass performance I would vote for that, as that is still something that gives very much to the look of the game.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Ok Boris, I see.
But speaking about SSAO, possibilities are wide enough to adapt to different kind of systems, don't you think ?
Well, I mean I'm all for performance optimization, but not if it means sacrifying too much of its quality.
You already did so much.... I still remember about Tatsudoshi, where SSAO was a HUGE performance killer.....
Lian Li PC011 Dynamic, Corsair AX 1500i PSU, i9 10850K @5.0 Ghz, Aorus Z490 Ultra, RTX3090 MSI Gaming X Trio, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB RAM@3600, Corsair MP600 1TB NVME System Drive, 10 TB Storage, W10 Pro 64, Custom Hard Tubing Watercooling Loop

*sensei*

From my observations SSAO/SSIL still has a noticeable FPS hit.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Not more than any AO method in any game....
I mean, do try driver AO on high quality, sure it'll be more intensive than last ENB's SSAO @1.0 sizescale.... while being not half as good.
Anyway, it won't ever be performance free, don't think we can ask Boris for this.

*sensei*

I voted for Skylighting and Reflection.

SSAO/SSIL is very much optimized now. I can max out the parameters and stay at 50 fps. (Other effects off)
Skylighting hits performance. But the effect is not much visible without modding weather so i disable it most of time.
Reflection is fun and i like using it. The last optimization was great. If it is possible for more please do.

When i download preset from other users they also keep skylighting off. So that is the least used effect. I think you can spend time for reflections now, or something else that you like doing.

Or maybe fix ssao transparent water bug even with sacrificing performance. Atleast try one time and let us test to see what happens. This bug is going on for a long time and fixing will make many users happy.
Sound :: Creative X-Fi Titanium

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I voted for Sky Lighting and Reflections. It goes without saying that further optimization of SSAO+IL would be great as well, but since it already seems very optimized especially considering the high quality of the effect, I don't know how much time it's worth spending on for possibly little gain, but of course you know it better than anyone else.

While we're on a subject of SSAO+IL and further development, do you think it would be possible and feasible from a performance point of view to implement separate sampling range for IL? I think it would open up a whole lot of new possibilities for exterior lighting. If that's not possible, separate SSAO+IL settings for exteriors and interiors would be very useful, if that's possible.

Any luck in finding the issue with Sky Lighting flickering, by the way?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I don't know here to download the grass mod, so can't research what is slow in it's drawing.

Separate sampling range for ssao and ssil isn't good by performance, it will be almost twice slower. And ssao isn't finished yet, so separate computation will be useless after several updates.

Flickering of skylighting is not fixed yet, partially fixed, but at some rotation angles want to try another method. Unfortunately all these fixes reduce performance when the bug appear (and on areas where it is).