[poll] TES Skyrim

Is hardware antialiasing matters (msaa) in Skyrim?

You may select 1 option

View results
  • Author

Re: [poll] TES Skyrim

I think quite a few of us use SMAA already. So more optimization and new features including an SSAA option for more powerful Videocards (that works well with SMAA) would be great.

*master*

Option 2 for me. 'Glorious Grasses' is a must for me but its a performance killer even for the gtx680, so I can't afford AA anyway.
Would love to see TXAA implemented to eliminate all the shimering :P

*sensei*

So just do this-

New fx+AA = Very slow performance, people with powerful cards can use this mode
New fx (AA disabled) = Normal performance. people can use SMAA or whatever they prefer for this mode.

Arindel

If you are going to introduce new FX, is there any chance it will be Motion Blur? Similar to some games when you rotate the camera there is some motion blur.

You could scrape the code from some old enbseries files where motion blur was already there.

Oh, and...Hi! first time I'm posting here. :)

*sensei*

Native support for SMAA would be great.
Personally, I don't like TXAA, like FXAA it "unsharpens" and "blurs" the pictures to much in my opinion.
"Glorious Grasses" is really a performance killer, improving SSAO and SSIL for that would be great, SSAA would kill even more performance.

Motion Blur would be great, if possible with game engine.

Downsampling is no AA, so nothing to do with supersampling.
You use Downsampling for screenshots only, using a higher resolution than your screen can show, that way it has a similar effect to AA.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Downsampling is not for screenshots, you can perfectly play with it @ very good framerates if you tweak other settings accordingly.
Anyway, lots of possibilities, rigs and tastes.
But one thing is sure, seeing the comments in there, I think most of us agree on Boris going for deferred. ;)
One thing would be really great, including SMAA (or any other kind, why not supersampling) in the process BEFORE other effects, like DOF.
So it could do the job on native pixels, before any other effect kicks in.
Lian Li PC011 Dynamic, Corsair AX 1500i PSU, i9 10850K @5.0 Ghz, Aorus Z490 Ultra, RTX3090 MSI Gaming X Trio, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB RAM@3600, Corsair MP600 1TB NVME System Drive, 10 TB Storage, W10 Pro 64, Custom Hard Tubing Watercooling Loop

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

SMAA can't be applied before effects which use depth, because depth is not antialiased, so depth of field will destroy result of antialiasing. Antialiased depth will limit usage of it (for motion blur it will not work properly).

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Ok, Boris. Thanx for explaining it.
So, just do what u think is good, it'll be fine I guess.
Good luck on improvements and thank you for doing it ;)
Lian Li PC011 Dynamic, Corsair AX 1500i PSU, i9 10850K @5.0 Ghz, Aorus Z490 Ultra, RTX3090 MSI Gaming X Trio, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB RAM@3600, Corsair MP600 1TB NVME System Drive, 10 TB Storage, W10 Pro 64, Custom Hard Tubing Watercooling Loop

*master*

I'm perfectly happy using AA through the driver. I'm getting much better results than I ever did with smaa on my 680 GTX. So I'd rather see you keep fixing existing issues, like SSAO causing water to become too transparent, and adding new features than spend time on adding something like AA that already has multiple ways of being done.

I use hardware AA, but if I had to choose, I'd rather see cool new ENB effects than keep that AA.