[poll] TES Skyrim

Is hardware antialiasing matters (msaa) in Skyrim?

You may select 1 option

View results
  • Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [poll] TES Skyrim

I'm all for some new effects, but I cannot agree that any type of FXAA or SMAA will ever compare to true hardware AA that is aware of the world geometry. FXAA and SMAA are just post-process effects that use only the flattened image as input, so they can never handle well certain scenarios, i.e. where very fine and thin geometry is already rendered as a broken line of pixels before the FXAA/SMAA is applied. This is why FXAA and SMAA handle JAGGIES ok, but do not reduce SHIMMER very much; nothing can compare to hardware AA for this. With FXAA/SMAA, you still get plenty of pixel shimmering on horizontal/vertical edges and fine geometry when you move around.

All that being said, I'm happy for some new effects for Skyrim ENB. I generally can't afford to use hardware AA myself these days anyhow, on my old, trusty laptop :)
For being what they are (post-processing effects), FXAA and SMAA are fantastic!

P.S. I don't REALLY know what I'm talking about... but I think I do?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Just GO for deffered Boris !
Post process AA is more than enough.
I can't wait to see what you'll come up with !

TXAA, as mindflux said, will only be available on 6+ series.
SMAA does a fantastic job with jaggies.

When I want PERFECT antialiasing I'm downsampling 1440p to 1080p, and just add SMAA : fantastic !
If you can add new things and improve performance of SSAO_SSIL..... oh yes, please just go ! :)
Lian Li PC011 Dynamic, Corsair AX 1500i PSU, i9 10850K @5.0 Ghz, Aorus Z490 Ultra, RTX3090 MSI Gaming X Trio, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB RAM@3600, Corsair MP600 1TB NVME System Drive, 10 TB Storage, W10 Pro 64, Custom Hard Tubing Watercooling Loop

Deffered please :D

*sensei*

• No, better to speed up and add new effects to ENBSeries
    Better optimize existing and don't add anything else
"speed up" = "optimize" for me
So choice is between:
1. Hardware AA
2. Debug/speed up/optimize + new effects - but no hardware AA
3. Just debug/speed up/optimize - no new effects - no hardware AA
Right?
Then definitly 2!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I can do supersampling thing if it matters.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Speaking only for myself here, but downsampling + SMAA (or FXAA, don't like it, but does the job as well) remains the best solution.
Boris, if you could only improve SSAO_SSIL (if even possible) to match downsampling or very high resolutions, I'd be in heaven. :)
Anyway, please do what you feel is good to improve, according to YOU.
We have good post-process AA at our disposal, so I think we'd be able to sacrifice hardware AA for improvements and new effects, definitely ! :D
Lian Li PC011 Dynamic, Corsair AX 1500i PSU, i9 10850K @5.0 Ghz, Aorus Z490 Ultra, RTX3090 MSI Gaming X Trio, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB RAM@3600, Corsair MP600 1TB NVME System Drive, 10 TB Storage, W10 Pro 64, Custom Hard Tubing Watercooling Loop

[quote="ENBSeries"]I can do supersampling thing if it matters.[/quote]

I say go for it, even if I'm in the 2% of people with a very powerful rig. It does matter.

AAA

Yes, yes and once more - YES!!
i bet that postprocess AA is more than enough for Skyrim, it would be great to see emproved and optimised old effects with something new!!

sakulthefirst

Hey Boris,
can you implement downsampling like the guy from DSFIX for Darksouls?

I wanted to know if this method (Downsampling without driver modification) works only with this engine, or it can work in every game.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I don't know about downsampling, the reason to make it. May be you mean supersampling? It's relatively simple, but slow.