[Skyrim SE] Option to start with ENB menu open

• Author

[Skyrim SE] Option to start with ENB menu open

I’m running ENB for Skyrim SE under linux (and thank you for providing the linux wrapper). I have one annoying problem which is that the key combo to bring up the in game ENB menu doesn’t register except for a few seconds after the main game menu appears - and on the most recent versions of wine/proton, the ENB menu has stopped working altogether.

Now I don’t expect any support with fixing this, and I wouldn’t know where to start myself with troubleshooting - and even if it could be made to work, there’s every chance it will break again with a future wine update.

So what I wondered was, could there be an option e.g. in enblocal.ini to have ENB start with the menu already open (no need to register a key press)? I can imagine this option might also be useful for other situations where access to a physical keyboard is not straightforward e.g. handhelds or remote play. Icing on the cake would be a way of closing the ENB menu from within the ENB gui using a mouseclick.

Many thanks for your consideration.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [Skyrim SE] Option to start with ENB menu open

This option is not a solution, because once menu is opened will not be closed. Game is not developed for linux, mod too. Basic widely used functions of winapi used to get keys and if they not work in linux, that's absolutely non of my business.

Thank you for the reply. I can understand not wanting to introduce a workaround for something that isn’t an issue with the mod itself. However, I didn’t think it would be at all intrusive, and there are other situations (not exclusive to linux) where a way of opening the menu without access to a keyboard would be a useful option.

Not being able to close the menu wouldn’t seem much of a problem to me, you can still adjust settings in game, and then restart without the menu when you’re ready to play.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

opening the menu without access to a keyboard would be a useful option.
Are you serious about playing skyrim without keyboard?

It works well on steam deck (using windows or steamos), and skyrim has full controller support, so yes it plays fine without keyboard (including use of large modlists, though it helps to have a keyboard to set this up!). It also works well streaming from pc to couch/tv played with a controller.

Of course, you can attach a keyboard in any of the these scenarios, but it’s more convenient not to have to, and key combos / registering keyboard events doesn’t always function quite as expected, and is a complete pain to troubleshoot.

So yes, I am serious - it’s not such an unusual idea!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

So you want to say that sitt with gamepad near tv and gonna tweak preset in the GUI? So you also want gamepad be supported in GUI then? Never.
Anyway, i don't want to waste time arguing if you refuse to accept mistakes in your logic, for me quicker to make new parameter and will do it in next update.

I’m not looking to waste your time either, so I will say only this. Mouse can easily be emulated by gamepad using steam input, so gui works fine, as long as the menu appears. Keyboard can usually be emulated, but doesn’t always function same as physical keyboard would. Clearly I’d be foolish to want to do a lot of tweaking like this, but optimising a few settings is very possible.

If you did add a parameter in the next update, it would genuinely be a useful option, and I would be unreasonably grateful.

Many thanks for your time!