Real Time GI idea for skyrim?

• Author

Real Time GI idea for skyrim?

I have an idea for Global illumination in skyrim using a type of radiosity. It uses small point lights being place dynamically. It take an object and cast Rays of some type from the object in question. the more rays the more detail in the final GI, also the smaller of a radius the point light has to have (Over saturation reasons ). Depending on if the object is in shadow, or not, will determine the point lights final brightness. How to point light will be colored will be determined by the objects overall color, or color were the rays started from (most likely from the center of the object).

EXSAMPLE :

If you can't see the image sorry I have no idea how to upload one. If you can Then this is a basic Idea of what I'm talking about, Of course it would be more rays in more directions. Also it would look better. XP
If it looks bad, I'm sorry It's late at night for me and I'm sick. I just got the random Idea for this and I thought It would be good in skyrim.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Real Time GI idea for skyrim?

Boris, I wonder how you did not think of this first?

;)

Yeah I don't exactly know how to program this in creation kit and I don't know if I could. So if some one could maybe help me make it. Or some other thing like this It would be really cool to see it! Also, I have not really messed around with skyrim script extention and what it does? So, if some one could tell me, that would be grate!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

@johnshadow23

Sorry, my comment was sarcastic. Global illumination and video game lighting are much more complex than the concept suggested in your diagram. I recommend reading through the forum here and look at what Boris has written about some of the mod's effects (like ambient occlusion, indirect lighting, sub-surface scattering) to get a sense of the complexity of it all.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

This is hardly possible, because of performance. Things are done in other way, by tracing back from every visible position to every virtual light around (with factor of randomization to make it faster). Computation of shadowing for every ray is very slow too, basically decreases performance by multiplication (i.e. 10ms each produce 10*10=100ms). My ao and il use the same math as for lighting, but without self shadows, so only radical new or fake algorithms worth trying (actually i have several, but their minimal performance cost is very big, while current ao can be executed with low quality setting on cheap videocards).

Okay then any one want to make a path tracer for skyrim? Just for the lols, because I have made like 10 by now XD. And I know it probably take an hour to render I really don't care.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

You have source code of the game? No? Who want then?

Lol, then how are you guys modding it that hard? what ever... But, for real, I have a better Idea, ssdo and SSGI But, using a reflection sphere. Or, some way of putting reflections on a sphere, or cube. Take a percentage of that sphere (Steradian?), or cube reflection and put it on the screen. Then do ssdo, and SSGI on the captured reflection and some shaders, or post process for any extra effect wanted. Then you have full space GI with some cost to the gpu but not a ton. But your already expecting an enb to cost more any way, gpu wise.

Idk if this is a good idea at all probably not...

*master*

Lol, then how are you guys modding it that hard?
This is a question you should answer for yourself before supposing anything is possible. Clumping concepts together in a big mess of "take the refraction sphere and apply SSGI" isn't an idea, it's just rambling.

Or, look at it this way. All the currently existing mods for Skyrim hook onto existing functionality in the game. Some modify it. Some overwrite it. But they're limited to what the game offers them to latch onto, and that's all that can ever be done without the source code. Without the source code, any "idea" that isn't solely based on the game's rendering buffers and the various random details passed to the renderer is a wash.

Sorry I ment a relfection sphere (or cube). I know some of the limitations of the engine, just not much. I know the water shader has relfections. I'm immaging the way it does relfection is similar to just regular rasterIzation. And maby you could use that information as a second camera. Because I saw some one taking about screen space GI and complaining about it due to it being screen space. Still I know it's just an idea. If some one would like to give me a run down of what you can and can't do I would appreciate it. I'm really just trying to think of diffrent ways of doing things. But again that's just thought.
btw thanks for the feed back on my ideas.