SSAO not completely black when using ENB Processing (0.254)

• Author

SSAO not completely black when using ENB Processing (0.254)

Hi! What I first thought was an issue with black output settings, turned out to be SSAO, but I'm not sure why. When UseOriginalProcessing is true, AO fades completely to true black, but when when UseOriginalProcessing is false, AO turns into a medium gray color, so the darkest areas of shadows actually glow a bit, like a weird reflection that looks like a film negative.

It might be hard to see in this GIF if you're viewing in a bright room, but look at the shadows under and around the hood, and along the wood edges in the background. It's very noticeable, especially at night and inside interiors, and I can't fix it with adjustments to any of the settings.

This happens without mods, and with other effects turned off. Any ideas of what I should try? Should I try the latest ENB version to see if it's the same?

Thanks!

Extra info:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680
ENB PostProcessing Mode 2

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: SSAO not completely black when using ENB Processing (0.2

I do not support original post/object processing actually and ignore all users who asking questions regarding this.

ENBSeries wrote:I do not support original post/object processing actually and ignore all users who asking questions regarding this.
Hey Boris! That's fair, my problem is not with original processing, it's with ENB processing. I was just showing in the GIF before/after that AO is grey when using ENB processing.

Actually, it turns out it isn't Ambient Occlusion, but this issue happens with all pure black levels, it is just much more noticeable with AO on. Going to do more investigating and see what I can turn up. I also have the same issue with white levels being clipped.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I don't know what you want. Definetly my code internally and external shaders do not have any clipping or subtraction, except cut off negative values and too huge. Also black (0) is never brighter than 0, unless some effects applied which can do this (bloom f.e.).

If you are using a palette, check that it doesn't have a light color on the left edge. I'm far from expert, but that is one thing that might cause your blacks to not be black.

infidel wrote: 21 Oct 2014, 02:31 If you are using a palette, check that it doesn't have a light color on the left edge. I'm far from expert, but that is one thing that might cause your blacks to not be black.
Omg lol, this thread is almost a decade old, but I always had this problem too and I never figured out what it was, until now! Removed the palette file and now I can enjoy true blacks on my OLED monitor. Thanks!