Clay/Wet Look Help

• Author

Clay/Wet Look Help

Hello, I've been using ENB presets for a while now and wanted to try my hand at creating my own. I've been following the Guide to ENB Series by JawS, but it doesn't provide documentation regarding my question. I've tried searching for the answer everywhere with no results.

My question is, how do I achieve the clay/wet look in Skyrim for ENB .122 (or for any version for that matter)? I'm not sure what to call it exactly, but it's quite apparent in presets like Opethfeldt. The grass looks like you could reach out and touch it. Textures of all kinds look much more detailed or clay-like. I know that increasing specular settings result in a plastic-like shine, but that's not what I'm looking for.

To demonstrate, this is how a fresh install of ENB .122 looks like for me:

This is the look I wish to achieve; clay-like textures:

These examples are taken from Jasmin and Superb ENB. Other examples can be found in nearly every noteworthy preset. I'm guessing this effect cannot be tweaked in enbseries.ini, but rather, an .fx file? Thanks for your time. :)
Last edited by BSnake on 27 Nov 2012, 21:49, edited 2 times in total.

*master*

Re: Clay/Vivid Look Help

Specular power change the "roughness" of the material, when specular amount increase the power of the specular itself.
Just change the power of it, not the intensity.
It's in the INI. .fx is mostly for post effects, not for material settings.

Re: Clay/Vivid Look Help

Ahh, I guess I should eat my own words then. :D The guide I'm following says nothing about SpecularPower when it's such an important setting. >< Thank you so much for your help!

Re: Clay/Wet Look Help

Sorry to double-post, but I'm still having trouble tweaking the wet look. Using ENB .119, increasing or decreasing SpecularPower just seems to result in smaller or bigger bright spots, which makes sense according to this post. SpecularPower doesn't seem to determine the roughness/smoothness of textures themselves. Then again, this mod's creator has an extremely noticeable wetness to his preset, and he attributes it to specular settings. :?

I've downloaded the same preset as that author's, Project ENB Realistic. My game still doesn't look as wet. This is his game:

This is mine with his exact specular settings. Not very wet or clay-like, just bright spots:

Perhaps he is using an older version of ENB. Was the specular code changed at any time to affect this wet look? I read this thread and set FixParallaxBugs=false in the above screenshot, but still no noticeable change.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Specular wasn't changed, but fixparallaxbugs=true in previous versions affected specular a lot, i not saw that so count this as bug and probably that bug had it's positive side as wet look. Specular power and amount/intensity are the only parameters for this thing. I can do in future another, but probably only for some weather conditions or as reflection property, never thought about this.

Ah, so this look was not intended to be in ENB in the first place, but became the byproduct of certain specular settings. That makes a lot more sense. :) I downloaded an older version of Project ENB and it uses ENB .113. My game looks more wet now, but not as extreme as the author of the TERA armor:

Thank you for the help.

Sorry to post on an old thread, but I also love the wet/clay look from the earlier ENBs, and to answer your question about how to get the skin as wet looking as it is in the TERA armor mod, the mod author has answered this in his Q&A:

Q: How do you make your character's skin so shiny and "wet" - Glosstech can only make it look metallic instead of... you know... wet.

A: To make the character skin to look like my character in the screen shots, you need:

1) someting to make the skin shiny (edit the femalebody_s.dds, femalehead.dds, and femalehand.dds files in textures/actors/characters/female - just increase the brightness by about 20)
OR search for glosstech - however both of these will make the skin looks "metallic" and not "wet" - so you'll need....
2) an ENB file (I use Jasmin ENB 5.3 - ANY ENB would do but you need to go to:
[ENVIRONMENT] section in enbseries.ini and find these lines and change them accordingly
(these are the settings I use - the higher the number the more "wet" it will look - just play around with the numbers and see what works for you. You can see the effects better indoor right next to a light source)

SpecularAmountMultiplierDay=4.0
SpecularAmountMultiplierNight=4.0
SpecularPowerMultiplierDay=5.0
SpecularPowerMultiplierNight=5.0
(KEEP THESE TWO AT 0)
SpecularFromLightDay=0.0
SpecularFromLightNight=0.0

So basically besides the ENB (he changed from Jasmin to Project ENB) you also have to manually edit the textures that makes the skin shiny/wet or use a tool called 'glosstech'. Hope that helps :)