TES Skyrim - non colorful tundra | бесцветная тундра

dispute about different topics
  • Author
*sensei*

Re: TES Skyrim - non colorful tundra | бесцветная тундра

I live in Sweden. Which can be similar to Skyrim.
And Sweden can be very colorful. As stated shadows are not colorful but thats because our eyes cannot percieve colors if the colors are not enlightened.

Game graphics can never and will (hopefully) never be realistic. There are so many variables in the brain and in the human eyes that makes it impossible to make graphics "realistic". And does it have to be? Why can't it just be pretty?
Whats the fun with "realistic" graphics when you see realism each time you look outside your window?

*sensei*

Sweden - Januari 14th 2013. Looks pretty colorful to me. :)

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4871/201301121232.jpg

Actually I think at very high brightness , it just can't absorb all the light so those other light get deflected and you end up seeing those light which is not seen at a lower strength.

And on cloudy days, things do look a lot more dull than sunny days. Saturation affects perceived brightness so does brightness of objects affect the colour saturation in the human eyes (more light reflected and absorbed)

insomnia_jt wrote:I live in Sweden. Which can be similar to Skyrim.
And Sweden can be very colorful. As stated shadows are not colorful but thats because our eyes cannot percieve colors if the colors are not enlightened.

Game graphics can never and will (hopefully) never be realistic. There are so many variables in the brain and in the human eyes that makes it impossible to make graphics "realistic". And does it have to be? Why can't it just be pretty?
Whats the fun with "realistic" graphics when you see realism each time you look outside your window?
Because let's say you want to see a place like beaches in Brazil, you would have to travel all the way there if the game can't provide that realism to you.

And when you're playing the game, you want to immerse yourself in the game. Feel like you're inside the world. But I can't when I see all sort of effects that should never happen.

*sensei*

lampuiho wrote:
insomnia_jt wrote:I live in Sweden. Which can be similar to Skyrim.

Because let's say you want to see a place like beaches in Brazil, you would have to travel all the way there if the game can't provide that realism to you.

And when you're playing the game, you want to immerse yourself in the game. Feel like you're inside the world. But I can't when I see all sort of effects that should never happen.
If you want to visit the beaches of Brazil you will need to travel there lol. A videogame cannot provide that for you... Unless you create The Matrix. :P But then again, even inside The Matrix you'll not actually be in Brazil.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Amazing that this thread still get used.

from a smart guest wrote:I would rather want to say, that IMO games should (and mostly do, like Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3) aim for cinematic, movie-like graphic, rather than real-life graphic. You might say; "what's the freaking difference ?". Well, the difference, is the fact, that camera and the human eye are completely different. Most of the effects, You see in games, like motion blur, depth of field (especially with bokeh filter), tone mapping, etc. Are based on the image achieved with the camera only. Camera register such effects in quite exaggerated manner, while human eye barely notice such things.
And my addition to that;

When playing a game you look at a monitor which in many ways resembles looking through a Camera, so a photo realism is the closest thing a game can come to day.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

--JawZ-- wrote:Amazing that this thread still get used.

from a smart guest wrote:I would rather want to say, that IMO games should (and mostly do, like Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3) aim for cinematic, movie-like graphic, rather than real-life graphic. You might say; "what's the freaking difference ?". Well, the difference, is the fact, that camera and the human eye are completely different. Most of the effects, You see in games, like motion blur, depth of field (especially with bokeh filter), tone mapping, etc. Are based on the image achieved with the camera only. Camera register such effects in quite exaggerated manner, while human eye barely notice such things.
And my addition to that;

When playing a game you look at a monitor which in many ways resembles looking through a Camera, so a photo realism is the closest thing a game can come to day.

Especially as motion blur is a normal side effect of a Displays low fps on the perceptual system the Motion blur with a shader is a overexertion of that effect to have no Motion Blur you would need much much Higher Framerates ;)
Something which currently Virtual Reality Research is fighting with and yeah im also for Photo Realism for me it doesn't matter if with effects or without though the effects should be stylistic but not overdone raindrops on the camera lense in first person without the character wearing glasses or some other kind of helmet is such a thing where i say overdone.

Still Photo Realism doesn't mean to be real @ all you just create lights physically correct you can still create your textures absolutely incorrect and still have artistically freedom though it's much much easier to get realistically sound light material behavior that also work in non realistic films the same way when they get shoot on set ;)

Wee need to be able to differ the Material and it's Light interactions and that is a ongoing trend in every new Engine these days PBL and PBS it allows much finer controls also the layering of different materials. If you still wish you can add additional lights where you seem it fits, though these lights will work correctly with the environment and it's material properties and reflection behavior also in terms of the indirect light the materials they hit create.
One of the Games that very heavenly use this and is released is Remember Me by Dontnod Studios they created a beautiful Scifi world but with the principals of real material specular properties in UE3 even.
The Japanese will use this entirely throughout their Game Productions in the Future they already did very early but the new Engines they work on Emphasize it much more thx to the PS4.
UE4 is also fully buildup with this working with Materials Workflow from the Ground up and comes very close from it's node interface (Visual Programming) to a Houdini Workflow these days

Perfection is the greatest enemy of photorealism.
Jorge Jimenez Activision Blizzard

*sensei*

CruNcher wrote: raindrops on the camera lense in first person without the character wearing glasses or some other kind of helmet is such a thing where i say overdone.
QFT, mate. Like when water flows on the screen like the character would have enormous invisible glasses.

Speaking of virtual reality... Have you seen the Oculus Rift? I would buy that in a second if Skyrim would support a customer version and not only the developer version. But I would probably just get motion sickness...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qktvBFPz7oY

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I can do this, but don't want to buy it and to wait when it arrive (and IF it arrive not broken).

insomnia_jt wrote: 18 Feb 2013, 22:15 Game graphics can never and will (hopefully) never be realistic. There are so many variables in the brain and in the human eyes that makes it impossible to make graphics "realistic". And does it have to be? Why can't it just be pretty?
I see this is an old discussion but I'm roaming these forums today and I'm ending up reading a lot of threads, I just want to say about this post: I COULDN'T AGREE MORE.

It's exactly what I think and since my english sucks, I'm happy someone else said it and so well-worded! :beer: