ENB and Hialgo in Skyrim

dispute about different topics
  • Author

ENB and Hialgo in Skyrim

I've registered on this forum specifically to express my displeasure with the state of these two things not working together at the moment.

(Please take all the following in the context of me understanding that both ENB and Hialgo are free products made with geek love, and it's all #firstworldproblems :) )

But really, wtf is going on? Why can't you guys play together on this?

From an end-user's perspective (an end-user with an old midrange rig), I can say that these two programs complement each other perfectly. ENB ups the eyecandy level tremendously, at the cost of gameplay speed, while Hialgo buys back the gameplay speed that ENB loses me, with no cost to eyecandy except while I'm moving, when I don't notice it.

Is it something that you, Boris, have specifically against the concept of image degredation in principle? I don't know if you've tried Hialgo, but basically, it makes no difference whatsoever to image quality at all while the camera is static, it only degrades the image while the camera is moving, and in that case, you don't notice (or usually mostly don't notice) the degredation. The result is that I, as an end-user, have the best of both worlds - speedy gameplay and a high eyecandy level while I'm just enjoying the scenery! What's not to like? The two programs complement each other.

So please, please, please just get together with Eugene and make lots of people like me happy :)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: ENB and Hialgo in Skyrim

ENBSeries and HiAlgo goals are absolutely different. Yes, i dislike any image degradation, if it noticable. More than that, dynamic changes of scene like camera movement require better quality, because all aliasing artifacts annoying only in this case. Always played in the past with maxed quality in all video games even if framerate below 10. I will not do anything for compatibility with HiAlgo and will not implement similar features in my mod, i'm not a bum and not interested personally.

Re: ENB and Hialgo in Skyrim

Oh well, at least I tried. I had a suspicion it was a purist sort of motive - but I guess it's the purist in you that makes you make ENB so good :)

But I do urge you to think it over. You may be happy playing at 10 fps for the sake of eyecandy, if you have to, but if there's a common complaint about ENB series, it's that it drastically reduces one's framerate, and for most people gameplay beats eyecandy. But if they can have eyecandy (at least while they're not moving the mouse) and gameplay, that's ideal.

I don't think you'd be blamed for the nominal image degredation (which, I repeat, only occurs briefly while the mouse is moving, and is hardly noticeable in the heat of gameplay), if that's what you're worried about. On the contrary, I think you'd be praised for bringing the joys of ENB series to a wider audience if you got the two proggies playing nice together.