Lens Flare effect in older games

Forum rules
before posting new topic check if it's exist. modding depends from amount of potential users who will use the mod, not popular games will be ignored
  • Author

Lens Flare effect in older games

Good Day Boris, i have a question about enb series, so were do i start..
A few days ago i was watching videos about graphics in GTA 4 using enb series..and was wondering if it's possible to get the same effect in older games? (i'm talking about lens flare effect just like in this video: http://youtu.be/a1_d_f6b56g )
If It's possible can you please tell the secret? =]

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Lens Flare effect in older games

It's possible only with programming effect.txt file, but in practice biggest problem is to detect from screen brightness where light spot is. In GTA4 sun intensity is huge (and car lights also), so to mask out light sources is not a big deal, but old games don't use HDR and even if they use, light emitters are not set to high intensities. In version for Deus Ex 3 i tried to walkaround this problem by making lenz reflection from bright areas (actually image is layered, colored and distorted by sphere and direction on screen), but HDR is applied in there manually by me, so again this not work for old games. I'm working in parallel on another version, which will be like generic modding tool, may be manual picking of light sources allow to make lenz effects, don't know yet.

iLL

Oh, thanks for the fast reply.
The thing is i finished working on textures of Live For Speed and configured enb series for it.. looks good overall, but the lens flares are missing for the whole atmosphere hehe
Here is the result Image picture is not photoshoped or anything like that. Straight from the game.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Looks good. But you don't need lenz flare here, lenz reflection effect from bloom shader of Deus Ex 3 version will work perfect here after some tweaking. You need to port it in to effect.txt file (if you know how to program hlsl shaders, because i'm very busy last months to work on any coding not related to TES Skyrim or game engine i'm working on).

iLL

ok i'll try to do my best and then replay with results
thanks for your help & time! =]

iLL

I've returned with bad news, couple of days tried to edit effect file so the lens flare work in LFS, but no results at all. Maybe it's because of d3d9.dll file..and i should try another one?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I don't know even version you are using. But if it deus ex 3, gta 4, tes skyrim - forget them, not working with other games, use older. If your d3d9.dll support effect.txt and working properly without your latest changes, then it's just a bug in code, check it with nvidia fxcomposer.

iLL

I'm using ENBSeries v0.075s for GTA San Andreas Version, can i just copy the code from Deus Ex 3 v0.088 FX IMPLANT 2.0 enbeffect.fx file to vignette effect.txt file? or it will not work that way?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

No, you can't copy code, it will not work. I don't understand you guys asking of this. If programming would be so easy like copy-paste in notepad...

iLL

sorry i just know a little of this :( i would appreciate for your advice on how can i make this work. (what should i write in that file) if you have any time please help