CROSSFIRE FINALLY FIXED!

• Author

Status r9 290x in CF as of April 2015?

Hi guys!

I'm running Skyrim on a single 290x on a dell u2711 1440 screen- and I just saw an extremely good deal on a second 290x. The CF option looks very tempting.

However, what's the lowdown these days? I don't mind a lot of tinkering, but can anyone tell me that you really have the thing in 100% working order on current ENB version?

Re: CROSSFIRE FINALLY FIXED!

Crossfire works. (Default/AFR, no 1x1)

ENB works.

Crossfire & ENB works.

Performance is good to exceptional on highend cards and Crossfire scaling is in the area of 90%+ with an additional card.

ATI has driver problems though, if crossfire is working, you'll most likely get a flickering face texture. ESPECIALLY if you use SKSE.INI's setting for 2048 facetints.

Edit: You can KIND OF fix this if transparency is set to 0% or 100%. Values around 40% start the flickering. (Warpaints/Tattoos/Freckles)

*master*

I was happily using "Fear" for good CF performance and working DOF and adaptation. But now I've upgraded to W10 and the party is over. :cry: Same issues with CF again. Somebody allready tried something to save the world? Hmm, seems ccc is not working when overriding profiles. There is hope :)

Edit, profiles in CCC hold over after the upgrade, but they don't work and need re-added! Skyrim + enb working like it should :)

I'm not able to get skyrim to use the 2nd GPU at all and need some help with troubleshooting.

Specs and basic settings:
  • Windows 10 x64
  • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
  • 8GB RAM
  • GPU 1- r9 290 - Sapphire Vapor X (comes at 1030MHz stock), primary
  • GPU 2 - r9 290 - XFX Double D (947 MHZ, stock), linked. This used to be the only card before crossfire
  • Monitor - 3440x1440 ultrawide, freesync
Software
  • MSI Afterburner for its OSD (no overdrive) and also have ULPS disabled through its settings.
  • Flawless Widescreen
  • Clockblocker to prevent downclocking
  • I run the game through SKSE launched from Mod Organizer
The issue

GPU 2 is always at 0% utilization, and performance does not increase at all. If anything, I suspect it's less than single GPU.

The second GPU is fully utilized in Witcher 3 with great performance, so I know the GPU works and that crossfire can work. Witcher 3 also shows that MSI afterburner is able to pick up readings from GPU2 correctly.

What I've tried
  1. Changing the driver version -- Catalyst 15.11.1, Crimson 15.11, Crimson 15.12, and Crimson 16.1. All 4 do not show GPU 2 being utilized at all.
  2. Changing Crossfire profiles -- Tried "Default", "AFR Optimized", "1x1", Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and Skyrim. Still 0%. I could not find a profile for Oblivion.exe to try the "rename your executable" method.
  3. Disabing / enabling Freesync
  4. Disabling / enabling Frame Pacing
  5. Disabing / enabling ENB
  6. Disabling / enabling Flawless Widescreen
  7. Rebooting
  8. Running the game from the Skyrim launcher rather than MO
  9. Disabling / enabling Frame rate target control
None of the above will bring the second GPU into play. This covers just about everything that I could find in Google.

Is there anything else that I can try?

Are any of you able to successfully run Skyrim in crossfire? And if so, can you please post your specs, monitor resolution, and enb of choice (if any)? Thank you.

EDIT: Solved the issue. bFullScreen was set to 0 in skyrimprefs.ini. I have a feeling that OneTweak sets it to 0 when you have BorderlessWindow=true in OneTweak.ini. I set that to false and bFullScreen to 1, and now crossfire is active. Exteriors are way too bright with enb, so that's something else to figure out.