ENB Crashes Fallout Games.

• Author
*sensei*

Re: ENB Crashes Fallout Games.

haha, i can understand Boris a bit, he sees so many negative comments that sometimes he gets mad,
i had the same problems back in the days when my mods where on the nexus.

The frustration part we where talking about earlier, i'm sure all is fine though.

I can imagine that it is almost undoable to make a piece of software that works on every configuration,
especially when the drivers are indeed faulty quite often, it's the same with all code that needs to work on different setups.
I know that if i write PHP code for a browser or code for mods in the GECK, that i am extremely Lucky cause it only has to work correct in the browser or gameengine.
But if you write code that talks to many different parts of the PC i can imagine you'd have a hell of a time to make it work for all PC's
I'm just very happy that the ENB works fine with me.

It would be nice if it would have worked, oh well, atleast you tried fiercely and you didn't waver, that's what counts.

Just caught up with this thread. The only people that have even tried to be helpful (not boris), are the people offering up some of the most obvious 'tips'. When I say that I tested with a fresh OS, several sets of certified and beta drivers, and obviously a fresh install of the game. Despite the fact that enb doesn't require NV's various performance and stability tweaks, it's a given for someone who obviously went through the work of testing that extensively.

After doing this testing I came on this site with a good attitude, intending to report a bug and try to be helpful. But then I read some posts. Caught up to my previous post, and then read a bunch from other people reporting the same issue in multiple posts, multiple threads. It soured my attitude, because in every case, I see the creator having a sour attitude about it. But that ignores all the logical shortcomings here too.

Using a fresh OS install, with a fresh driver install and a fresh game install, an earlier version works, and a later version doesn't. Absolutely nothing changes between outcomes aside from the enb version. And it's been reported quite a few times in a forum that's likely to see .001% of the users that it's intended for.

If you don't read that and come to the conclusion that if not definite, it's extremely plausible that it's a bug within enb causing the crash, then one of two things are happening here. You don't care, or you can't follow logical thought. Given that Boris is likely a brilliant programmer, we're left with one conclusion.

So that may leave you with the question; What gives me the right to come on here and bitch?

Nothing. But it is, of course, the internet. So it's abundantly easy for me to shout my opinion however I please, and just as easy to censor it. I won't continue bitching, because quite frankly, I don't care. If Boris does't care, I won't waste any more of my time caring. But it certainly would have been nice to help, rather than see some dude being a douche about things and feeling obligated to return the favor.

*sensei*

the funny thing is, you just can't say that it's definite.
that's the problem with software and all the gazillions of PC configurations.

And Boris indeed doesn't want to spend too much time in ENB's for older games, that's quite understandable.

If that set's you on fire, you should probably just forget about ENB for Fallout alltogether and play without it.
atleast this way you make sure you don't get frustrated anymore.
But i know that frustration is a addiction for some of us, so they probably will find another thing to bitch about.

funny thing is, a lot of people think that Boris or any other creator of free software has a obligation to help every single one out if they run into a problem, what's with that ?

So it seems to me that whatever is causing this is tied to or actually are one or more of the effects of the ENB. This is on a fresh install of Fallout 3, no mods, just Fallout 3's files and the 0.216 ENB and its dependencies. I listed the steps I took to come to this conclusion; details are below.

I turned off all options (set all "true" values to "false") in the default preset's enbseries.ini and turned them back on one at a time. Here are all of the values I changed (from "true" to "false"):

[Proxy]
InitProxyFunctions=true
[Global]
UseEffect=true
[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
[GAME]
SpeedHack=true
[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
[EFFECT]
EnableBloom=true
EnableAdaptation=true
EnableAmbientOcclusion=true
EnableSunRays=true
EnableDetailedShadow=true
[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=true
[SSAO_SSIL]
UseIndirectLighting=true
[SKY]
Enable=true
[COLORCORRECTION]
UsePaletteTexture=true

With all features turned off it runs fine. I re-enabled the features one at a time then ran the game, but as soon as I put UseEffect=true in under [GLOBAL], the game loading unresponsiveness came back. This is regardless of what the options in [EFFECT] are set to. So Fallout 3 will run with all default values except for UseEffect=true. Also, the ENBoost 0.203 works great, but that has no post-processing features, which leads me to believe the issue lies somewhere in the effects.

I also tried setting the TdrDelay key in the Windows Registry to a higher value (this elongates the time that Windows allows a graphics device to be unresponsive before closing the application and returning to the desktop), the default is 2 seconds. I tried 60 seconds, but the same thing happened after the 60 seconds expired. So my GPU was still unresponsive after 60 seconds when the effects in the 0.216 ENB are on. I don't think it should take more than a whole minute for any effects in the ENB to be processed, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I also tried the newer 13.9 stable AMD drivers (I was running 13.10 beta), but still no luck. Any more ideas?

*sensei*

AMD has acknowledged that it is a driver bug.
Send your driver crash information to AMD.

Everyone who has this problem should report to AMD, that makes it more likely that they will solve it.

*sensei*

Just going to add m'name to the legions; I too have this issue. I'll go and send an email to AMD to explain how they have been very naughty boys.

FiftyTifty wrote:Just going to add m'name to the legions; I too have this issue. I'll go and send an email to AMD to explain how they have been very naughty boys.
If it was a bug introduced into a driver release, previous drivers would continue to work fine. They don't. If it were a driver issue, all ENB versions would refuse to work. They don't. So don't get your hopes up, dude.

*sensei*

Yeah, found that out on ze AMD forums.

Curious as to what the problem could be. Might be that a function was re-named/replaced due to the new GCN architecture?

The problem seems to be pretty obvious... denial.. but theres nothing any of us can do about it. as Boris has said "learn to code and fix problem yourself" :?

on a side note, I can run ENB on my AMD system, though its kinda... LoL "jury rigged"
I can use the TESV ENB D3D9.dll with a fallout ENB and well it works, everything EXCEPT the Boost feature...

OR

I can run ENBoost with the fallout D3D9.dll and no effects...

I'm not a coder, I can copy paste some stuff, but I'm not sure how to merge the 2 different D3D9.dll to enable a fully working ENB.. but im sure someone can possibly do it.

man it really sux not having ENB for a game I enjoy, I have become so accustomed to using them :(

*sensei*

ENBSeries v0.150 works the best out of the ones which doesn't crash with 7000 series GPUs. No missing walls and such, but there are a few minor issues, such as the player's reflection on water being massive.

And no, you won't be able to jury-rig the d3d9.dlls together. You would need the source code for that. And Boris is adamant about not sharing it.

He also refuses to contact other developers, or even ask for advice on the AMD forum. Keeps talking about drivers and how we are the ones who should contact AMD. Even though he has the source code.