CROSSFIRE and Project ENB (SKYRIM) Guide. (newest)

• Author

CROSSFIRE and Project ENB (SKYRIM) Guide. (newest)

Okay I solved my issues so for other amd/ati users who have CROSSFIRE and/or also use SKSE, listen up and follow these steps.

(I use 5xxx series in crossfire so this may or may not apply to 6xxx or 7xxx cards).

1. DL project enb for SKYRIM CoT v3.1 install everything according to the readme instructions, activate the darker dungeons .esp unless you already use a different lighting mod that effects interior dungeons like RLO then don't use this .esp. The Fixeyeadaptaion.esp is required so make sure that is loading in NMM.

2. Rename TESV.exe (looks like TESV) to oblivion, located in program files - steam - steamapps - common - skyrim (yes rename TESV to oblivion).

3. Make sure you use application settings only in CCC for AA. If you try to force AA through CCC after your game loads the screen will simply remain black, and make sure you turn AA as well as AF off in skyrim launcher settings. For less crappy looking edges, open SweetFX_settings in programfiles - steam - steamapps - common - skyrim (assuming you've already installed this enb mod)
Use_SMAA_ANTIALIASING set to 1 instead of 0 in Choose effects.
In SMAA anti-aliasing settings: Tweak however you want, I'm assuming higher numbers are better, I did notice a large improvement when increasing them.

You MAY or MAY NOT have to turn surface format optimization on/off in CCC if you have other issues. Example: I had to disable surface format optimization in CCC due to fire spells producing black box graphical artifacting when using ENB/crossfire. Only disable it if you have issues.

If you do not use SKSE, this is all you have to do.

Step 4 only necessary if using SKSE.

4. Download this skse.ini http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/34858 extract it, open it and ignore the Docs folder inside it, instead open the SKSE folder and leave it open for now. Go into the skyrim DATA folder, can be found same location as tesv.exe, and create a folder called SKSE in the DATA folder. After you create a folder called SKSE in the DATA folder, drag'n'drop the skse.ini which we already have open, into the folder we just made in DATA. Next open the skse.ini file with notepad and delete any/all text already inside it, it isn't needed we just wanted the .ini file itself, and replace it with this:
[Loader]
RuntimeName=oblivion.exe
Then save the file again as all-files.

SKSE should launch skyrim, if skse gives you a warning saying it can't locate TESV.exe then you didn't follow these instructions properly. If SKSE launches skyrim without a problem then everythings working normally.

You MUST do this in order to use crossfire with SKSE and have crossfire be compatible with enb properly, it is the only way. I tried making my own skse.ini file but it didn't work so I downloaded and used the one in the provided link.

Note: I don't play with DoF, it simply refuses to work properly. I tried other fixes and eventually managed to get DoF working, but the quality was terrible and there were odd color artifacting on textures at certain angles with 90+ FoV so you're better off not using or even attempting to try to get it to work with crossfire.
Last edited by Armedsauce on 03 May 2013, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

Re: CROSSFIRE and Project ENB (SKYRIM) Guide. (newest)

it loads oblivion, but the point is still doesn't work with radeonpro, (screen is all black), so what's the point if we can't anyways use radeonpro to force oblivion crossfire profile?

Enhok wrote:it loads oblivion, but the point is still doesn't work with radeonpro, (screen is all black), so what's the point if we can't anyways use radeonpro to force oblivion crossfire profile?
I don't use Radeonpro and everything is working fine. You don't need to use radeonpro in order to change TESV to Oblivion and have it utilize crossfire.

If you need to limit the framerate to stop the "shaking" effect when looking around then use MSI Afterburner.

Make sure in MSI afterburner that you add oblivion.exe (if you changed it) to msi afterburner along with skse_loader.exe if using skse as well as tesv.exe, set show on-screen display setting OFF, application detection level to NONE, click the wrench icon and check "Enable compatibility with modified Direct 3D runtime libraries" then in the same menu force frame rate to 57, which works better than 60 for some reason.

sorry probably then i didn't get it.

let's say i make it load skse as oblivion, why performance would be better?

in CCC there isn't a profile for oblivion...

explain me better please!

got it btw, the profile works, got a lot of fps, but the dof problem is still here.

Basically if u use DOF, it's all blurry ><

1)i've loaded tesv as oblivion.exe runned the game got fps increase but blurry image.
2)i've made a profile for oblivion.exe and selected fear.exe as crossfire profile, blurry image gone but fps increase also
3)i've alt tabbed while ingame and changed the cfx profile from fear.exe to default, got fps increase without getting the blurry image, basically i've fixed it for some reason i can't understand, but it's working.

even rebooting now it perfectly works, fps are going outside from 45 to 55 and inside from 55 to 60, so basically it's perfect. (and that's with amazing graphics and all enb effect on, with ssao and complex indirect lighting up).

someone can explain how is it possible? ><

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Have you ever read what i writing? It's driver hack and nobody know how it will work in non standart conditions like modified skyrim.

ArmedSauce, you are awesome, I've been tryiing to get crossfire to work for 2 years with my heavily modded Skyrim, this is the first time a solution has ACTUALLY worked for me. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH bro, you are F#@k!ng AWESOME. Oh man, I'm so happy right now, just installed ENB with my other 74 mods, it was too slow with only one of my cards running, I had given up on trying to get Crossfire to work. Seriously, you are good people bro, I have tried countless fixes over the years, I came across your comment, and renaming TESV to Oblivion, I also hadn't been able to get SKSE to work, apparently it was because of the missing INI. You are a badass human being bro, and I wish there were more people like you...lol

8-) :lol:

I know this is really old, BUT. ArmedSauce, I owe you a VOLUME of gratitude for this fix. I went years with broken ENB with skyrim, and this is THE only thing that ever fixed the flashing/blurry/crappy ENB experience for my x-fire config. A couple of years back when I was attempting to figure out what was wrong, I ended up giving up after TENS of hours of futility. How in the WORLD you figure out that that combination of things would fix this issue is beyond me. I did have to tweak it a slight bit like the other use and create a new crossfire profile and point it to fear to remove the blur, but other than that I am FINALLY enjoying ENB on my x-fire setup with 90% plus gpu utilization, no artifacts and TONS of eye candy at 1600p! Thank you so, so much brother!

Christopher