Skyrim: Red "Grain" effect and SkipShaderOptimization

• Author

Skyrim: Red "Grain" effect and SkipShaderOptimization

Boris

I wasn't quite sure where to ask this, but I figured this would be the best place to ask it.

I've been getting sporadic reports of a red grainy effect when using the ENB I wrote on certain NVIDIA cards. It took me a while to figure out the fix for it: SkipShaderOptimization=true. I was worried it was a bug in my own code, but since SkipShaderOptimization=true fixes it, I'm not too worried now.

1) Have you heard of a red grainy effect before? Do you know why this might happen?

I know that shader optimization usually involves moving code around to allow more shader instructions to be run simultaneously in the graphics card, and to eliminate texture lookup bottlenecks. So here's my other question:

2) Is the shader optimization something custom/unique that you have written in ENBSeries? Or are you using the DirectX shader compiler optimization that relies on the graphics drivers?

Большое спасибо!

~IndigoNeko

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Skyrim: Red "Grain" effect and SkipShaderOptimization

Hi

I saw many bugs with different driver versions, especially when new videocard models are released (drivers immideately turn to crap). Skip shader optimization is the flag when compiling hlsl effect files, all of them. And i did it for cases like yours, so use it (at little cost of performance). What i absolutely don't understand is how dx compiler affect the driver bugs, it can't compile by driver, but if it's optimization of each assembled shader in driver, then some bugs are very strange. Also remember some dx versions (mean d3dx9_XX) produce specific bugs in cycle when compiling shaders, so i stick with 26 and 40. You can't fix such bug without remote control or having this issue on own pc, only experimenting by turning on/off part of the code will help.

Re: Skyrim: Red "Grain" effect and SkipShaderOptimization

Thank you very much for the information! The interaction of the DX HLSL compiler and the graphics drivers is very confusing. I'll leave that to the experts (like you).

I'll probably leave SkipShaderOptimization=true for my next upload. It seems it's only costing 1-3 FPS at most, but it fixes all the problems people are experiencing.

Большое спасибо!

~IndigoNeko