Skyrim - ENB broke Night Vision

• Author

Skyrim - ENB broke Night Vision

So. Where to begin. Right, so, I updated my ENB .dll file to the latest for Skyrim LE. And as I wanted to take advantage of the newest settings, since the ENB I was using was pretty old, I updated to the Windscape 2 Reborn ENB preset. This broke Night Vision, I hit the Predator Vision button for Night Eye and no change, no brightening, nada, just a little blurring for a second. So I did some research and deleted all the files (Enbseries folder and all the enb .fx and .ini files in Skyrim's root folder) and installed dumped out the new ENB files and overwrote them Taledens Lifelike ENB for RLO and CoT files, then enabled the included plugin ENBNightEye.esp. This seemed to work. Further tweaked the game from this blog post.

https://www.loverslab.com/blogs/entry/7 ... xes-tools/

Yeah, I was also a bit hesitant with that URL but it's to a blog post not to any of their ... tacky mods. Anyway. Seemed to be working, a bit darker than I like but I was going to tweak the .fx files to fix that. Saved after a little bit of play, went onto other things, and later came back to it. I loaded up the game, loaded up my last save, saw the game was a bit darker than I liked and remembered I was going to tweak the .fx files. So I tried Shift-Enter and nothing. Not working. So I quit out and checked, found something ate the .dll and enboost.exe both. Still not sure on that one, tbh. I extracted those out, run the game, saw the ENB was running by the pop up, loaded up my save, shift-enter worked, so yay! Tweaked brightness (Gamma is at max of 1.0, can't tweak it to below 1.0 to make the game brighter, just higher than 1.0 to make the game darker) and went into a dark interior, hit the Night Vision button for Predator Vision and, no Night Vision yet again. * head desks * . Deleted and reinstalled the ENB and Taledens Lifelike ENB with the included ESP and that didn't fix it neither. I went into enbeffect.fx and deleted the // before the #def APPLYGAMECOLORCORRECTION (which, seems, universally another fix for this) and that didn't do it neither. So I am kinda stuck, how in the flip do I fix Night Vision?

If anyone is curious - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48220 - That's Teleden's Lifelike ENB

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Skyrim - ENB broke Night Vision

Mod disable game post processing because it's ugly shit and inside it night vision is integrated. Some preset makers tried to support night vision by catching shader constants when they change to values similar to night vision mode, but just few presets have this and most likely installing native game mods may break this feature cause constants may change. There is no way for non skilled in programming player do a manual fix, so your only option is to find preset which have this thing in enbeffect.fx file.

That's what Taledens was suppose to be, a preset that works with Night Vision. It worked with Night Vision for a little bit then broke again. >.< Oddly even if I go back to my old preset (I archived the enbseries folder, the .dll, and all the .fx , .bmp, .tga and .ini files in the root folder ) it's still broken and that had been working, without a mod, for years. This is what's confusing me, it's why I backed it up, just in case something broke. And even it's now broke.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

If night vision used to work with the preset you used to use and now doesn't work, the only logical explanation is that you must have overlooked something either when backing up the files or when restoring the backup.

mindflux wrote:If night vision used to work with the preset you used to use and now doesn't work, the only logical explanation is that you must have overlooked something either when backing up the files or when restoring the backup.
That or one of the other changes I made to one of the other files did something that broke it. Though I am not entirely sure what. I do know there is now a DXD9_42.dll as well for the SKSE preloader that loads some crash fix skse, there were tweaks to the skyrim.ini and skyrim_prefs.ini, the BethINI tweaks, the enblocal.ini tweaks got undone and partly redone (Due to having to disable the x64 thing because of the preloaded crash fix SKSE) when I reinstalled the ENB, etc. All in an effort to fix a very annoying several second hiccup when the game autosaves / quick saves / hard saves. Game acts like saving a 30,000 KB file to an SSD is so resource intense it has to stop the game while it does it. Still does, actually. >.<

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I know it's probably a bit of a pain but it might be worthwhile to rule out as many factors as you can and test without SKSE, game mods and ini tweaks.

mindflux wrote:I know it's probably a bit of a pain but it might be worthwhile to rule out as many factors as you can and test without SKSE, game mods and ini tweaks.
Ok, so, stripped out the dxd9_42 dll , the preload skse, dumped out the ENB files to reset those back to default, deleted and recopied the .bak changed their name to make them .ini for both skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini , and reset skse.ini back to an earlier version and Night Eye is still broken. Well, one more thing I can try to do but let's see if that fixes it. The guide has us "Quick Auto Clean" Update / Hearthfire / Dragonborn / Dawnguard ESMs. Never liked that idea, I started playing Beth games back with FO 3 and cleaning any plug in, official esm, user made esm / esp was always a no no. Wish me luck.

Update: Nope, still broken. >.< Umm...

Update Update - Got it working. Restored my old ENB, found the file I missed, the SweetFX .dll didn't get saved. So ... Since without SweetFX it didn't work but with SweetFX it does, I would have to safely assume SweetFX did something, dunno what, to fix Night Eye. O.o

Yet another update - So, I thought, what the heck, if SweetFX seems to be working with Night Eye, let's give it's spiritual successor a whirl. I flushed out the ENB (Making sure to stuff the SweetFX dll into the backup archive this time. ) and installed a bare bones ENB and Reshade, renamed Reshade's dxd9.dll to dxd9rs.dll , and pointed ENBLocal.ini to it as a proxy, and dumped a ReShade settings mod file thingy from the Nexus in. Broke Night Eye * and * it made my game go super speed with people running past me at mach 1. * LOL! * So, well, that didn't work. Reinstalled the old ENB. Looks like I am stuck with it or any other ENB that uses SweetFX.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

SweatFX should not do this, because it's colors applied later and do not modify game constants. Unless effect of night vision is coded there and pressed by key.

ENBSeries wrote:SweatFX should not do this, because it's colors applied later and do not modify game constants. Unless effect of night vision is coded there and pressed by key.
Well, any ENB without Sweetfx breaks Night Eye, restoring my old ENB without the SweetFx .dll file breaks Night Eye, restore the SweetFX .dll so it runs and Night Eye works. ENB with ReShade breaks Night Eye. No idea why.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make Night Eye effect more stronger without washing everything out or making the lit areas too bright. I've already installed a new shader thingy that removes the blue tint and blur. Did that long ago. Just some dungeons are so dark I need night eye + torch / candlelight spell just to see, night eye alone isn't enough. And that's with out any modifiers from CoT, I only have Interiors Warm and the Dawnguard / Dragonborn patches installed on top of base CoT.