[Linux] TES Skyrim SE - 0.452 vs 0.347

• Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [Linux] TES Skyrim SE - 0.452 vs 0.347

Yes, in such case i can give test builds. But you also should make description how to make 0.347 running, because i will put version to public instead of recompile here again and again.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Test if it works. Ignore visual bugs and not working features
EDIT: file deleted

Thanks again. This copy worked without any issues.

What's the best way for me to write up a mini how-to on using enb with Linux through Wine+DXVK?
I can post here in the forums, send you something you could put up on a page on your site, or put it elsewhere.

Is there any other testing you would like me to do?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Will be more tests till find what exactly to disable which do not work.

I don't know what kind of guide it should be. Anything as short text what Linux users need to know. Most likely they do know already how to run Windows games, so skip that part.

EDIT: file deleted

2.zip also worked fine. No crash, and the game seemed to run fine.

Sorry for the delay in my response. I'm not getting notifications of your responses, and have to remember to check back. I'll try to do that more, as you are doing all of us a favor, and this is the least I can do.
If you want, feel free to use PM or you can hit me up on Discord.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

In that case you can use that test version, i'll do update with linux build, but need short description how to make 0.347 work at least, so i'll put it in readme.

TES Skyrim SE with ENBSeries running on "current" versions of WINE with DXVK:
As there can be many different hardware configurations, and even more software configurations, and I expect many of these combinations will work with a somewhat common set of rules, I'm going to list out the configuration that has worked for me.

In general, so long as you have the right versions of these applications installed, things should work basically the same as they do on Windows.

• TES Skyrim SE version: 1.5.97.0.8
  • WINE version: lutris-6.4-x86_64 (also tested on Proton-6.5-GE-1)
  • Winetricks: d3dx11_43, d3dcompiler_43, d3dcompiler_47 (specific version of d3dcompiler likely doesn't matter)
  • DXVK version: v1.7.3L-03f11ba
  • Vulkan Instance Version: 1.2.141
  • Lutris version: 0.5.8.3
  • Video Card: NVidia GeForce GTX 980
  • ENBSeries Presets tested: Cathedral Minimalist ENB https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... mods/31367
  • Mods: This worked with no mods enabled, and 50 mods installed, so it seems pretty robust.
More than likely the major version of WINE and DXVK version range are the most critical here. I expect that any WINE 6.x version will work, and probably any DXVK that was built since WINE 6.x
While I tested this via Lutris, I don't think it is needed at all. You can likely run straight from Steam for Linux with a version of Proton that uses DXVK. You should theoretically be able to run whatever executable is required to run the game as you want it, be that via a launcher, mod tool, Steam, etc, from the terminal via your versions of wine, just by pointing your version of wine to the exe.

I find Lutris to be a nice way to run this, as it will handle installation of a lot of the components for you, such as WINE, and DXVK, and has installers for Skyrim for Steam:
https://lutris.net/games/the-elder-scro ... l-edition/

Follow the instructions from your ENBSeries preset on installation. Just be sure to use enbseries for TES Skyrim SE version 0.347 or (insert version name/number of the newer version that is released specifically for Linux)

Soo, performance wise, things aren't so great when using enbseries, and I think this is because DXVK does it's work by replacing the system d3d11.dll with it's own d3d11.dll that is what is responsible for switching the calls over to vulkan.

When we put d3d11.dll in to the main Skyrim dir, your DLL get's loaded instead of the system one. So, in this case, we are basically not using dxvk at all for direct3d 11 calls, and thus, not getting the large optimizations that tend to make windows games run faster than they do on windows, under Linux.

I think that to get the same level of performance, and enbseries features, we would need you to import the changes from dxvk(which is available on github).
https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

Entirely up to you of course. For me, this is a difference between 30 fps when using enbserver to 60fps when not using it, even with all of the effects disabled(pretty sure I would get the same results if not using dxvk nor enbseries under WINE)

I assume this would be a significant project for you, and outside of your normal operating environment, so I certainly understand if it's too much to ask.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Thanks for help, i released Linux version.

Many thanks for this!

I can confirm linux version works well on my setup. Finally have decent looking ambient occlusion!

@mattie - I don’t think the wine/proton version is all that crucial, I’m getting good results with Proton-5.0-GE-1, but with latest dxvk copied into the proton folder.

There shouldn’t be any problem with running the d3d11.dll with dxvk, this has worked since dxvk v1.4 or thereabouts. My performance from brief testing is as expected, i.e. I lose a few fps using a relatively performance friendly enb (ljoss) on a heavily modded setup (lexy’s lotd).

I’ll try some testing with different proton setups when I get the chance and will report back if I find anything significant. But thanks again, much appreciated!