How to Darken Shadows

• Author

How to Darken Shadows

Hi there!

I'm not sure this sub thread is the right place to ask, but since I'm using an Nvidia GPU, I thought it's the right place.
So, I'm using ENBs and ReShades for many many years now, on every game I can. I had no issues with Skyrim in the past, but I've got some with Fallout 4.
I notice that shadows are too bring to nearly non existent or not nearly noticeable. This makes the game look flat / washed out. There are too many settings and I don't know which one will fix it, and I'm pretty sure it's not only one. So instead of trying to change the number on nearly every single line, I decided to just ask ^^
Look at this screen shot, on top is the normal one, other 2 is with ENB on. You can notice that the shadows under the roof, on the ceiling and the walls are kinda gone or just TOO bright. Look at the shadow on the wall with pink pink circle, it disappears, BUT...when I move close to it, it slowly pops up. So...it is there...but it's not showing when I'm far way, only when I touch the wall. And even when it does show up, it's still too bright. How to "fix" those issues, make the shadows in exterior a lot darker? With certain preset's the sky gets very dark too and it would be great if I can make only the sky brighter, not the whole picture with something like exposure and gamma.

Here's the pic - https://imgur.com/7w1MEzJ

https://i.imgur.com/BqcPGI5.jpg

Thanks for reading!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: How to Darken Shadows

I would suggest first try looking for ambient lighting intensity parameter under [ENVIRONMENT] and lowering it.

Okay so, everything Ambient and SkyAmbient related, fixed the issue! I just have to adjust everything, because I have settings for sunrise, dusk, dawn, etc and they are all different so I guess I'll have to wait a whole day and tweak every part of it. That's fine, no problems here, thank You very much for the very useful information.

Last thing I need to fix is the disappearing shadows in the distance, I've got several of those, and they appear only if I get closer. Do you need another screenshot or this information is enough?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

You can also use the console command "set gamehour to xx" to set the game time, faster than just waiting around.

Not sure about the distant shadows (I have no idea about F4), in the screenshot it just looks like the ambient is too high but I take it that the issue is still persisting even after you're lowered ambient lighting intensity and/or skylighting minimum ambient level? Have you tried reverting the game's preferences to the default? To do so, copy the ini files in MyGames\Fallout4 elsewhere and launch the game, at which point new default ones will be generated.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Bright roof is caused by skylighting effect tweaks and ambient of course (If you have skylighting enabled, tweak it's values). if i remember, directional ambient do this or automatic ambient calculation thing trying to emulate light reflection from ground.