Nvidia RTX (Ray-Tracing) in ENB?

• Author
*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Nvidia RTX (Ray-Tracing) in ENB?

Reminds me photon map when non sampled areas are interpolated between sampled ones. This technique of filtering was used in some old renderers like FinalRender or Brazil, when turn on some of the modes for GI. But it is for casting photons from light emitter, so with diffuse reflection special density map generated where put more photons, where less.

Yes yes it's me who wrote this message I do not like you! marty because I propose ideas you do not answer you think to be better than us

*master*

ENB V already has ray marched AO/GI though ? If I remember correctly at least.
Or am I missing the point here?

I agree with what Boris said though in the first replies, RTX on other games require heavy modification of the rendering pipeline, you don't drag and drop this.

RTX is hardware accelerated AS, which is great for people who do full-blown path tracing or hybrid rendering.
In the past, we had to either do this on the CPU very fast or GPU very fast, there were pros and cons in both areas.
RTX is great, despite what some people say on the internet, it's going to get even better with the time.
I waited for hardware raytracing for years now and it's finally here, people are starting to do amazing plug-ins too using RTX for game engines like Bakery for Unity, using Optix 6, etc, making baking an entire scene done in few seconds!

Nowadays, we can shoot rays, super fast. super super fast. it's crazy to think that with RTX, you can shoot in 5ms direct and indirect rays.
If you want state-of-the-art PT, go check Quake 2 RTX, it's quite biased (like SH for ambient, and the classic A-SVGF which is everywhere right now lol) but at this point, nobody cares. first fully path-traced commercial game on Steam, it's kind of crazy to think about it.

RTX isn't something you add on top of your already done game and call it a day though.
Especially if you set up a hybrid renderer (as in rasterization for geometry then raytracing for secondary rays)

+ the biggest drawback to me is already baked lighting,
Adding AO on top of AO is terrible, Adding GI using the already calculated GI makes no sense at all. you get a super flat image.
It's like doubling the energy every single time.

Screen-space AO/GI whatever Unigine is doing was also done in the past by plenty of people but nobody really bothered as games just still rely heavily on baking, I think anyone that made some SSR at some point went : "Hey how about I important sample a simple diffuse instead of GGX?" lol.

It's cool, for games that have a terrible AO but this won't replace a proper GI solution, "what if my light is behind. what if I don't look at the sky anymore, no more sky lighting?"

I think what ReShade has right now is great for old games, somewhat. Despite using the final color, it's okay.

There's not much point in fighting guys, people get influenced easily though and believe things fast.
Marty, call your stuff whatever you want, but just mention it's like SSR but changed to sample AO/GI and that's it! If you already did that, then that's already a good start :)
But do not follow what other companies say, it's marketing fluff, you're alone. You're a single dev, if you say BS, people will remember that.
Unigine do tech demos, they don't care, they don't expect the users to do things that isn't meant to be done.
There's also no reason to be so offended and attack Boris this way even if you're upset, man :/
It's just shaders, lol.

Every game using path tracing has been the dream for everyone, imagine Boris with full noise-free path tracing, does he need to hack around to get all these nice effects? Nope, he'll just shoot more rays and try to optimize that, because it would be physically correct.
Is it possible? Right now?
Nope, not at all...that's the final goal for everyone.
If that was the case, why bother rendering for days in a Pixar movie ? :P

Raytracing isn't solved yet, though. Every renderer has its pros and cons still, depending of which way you go, do you go brute-force PT unbiased way or do you go the scene-dependent biased way ? How do I sample my lights, etc etc...

RTX isn't the magic bullet, it helps developers, it helps raytracing but it's all up to developers to do whatever they want to do with the rays.
RTX =/= AO or GI, it just allows devs to do that faster than before.

Anyway, TL;DR :
Boris already made something similar to the ReShade shader,
RTX makes no sense to add on every game IMO,
Modern games already have good enough GI, they just need small-scale AO.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

icelaglace wrote: Marty, call your stuff whatever you want, but just mention it's like SSR but changed to sample AO/GI and that's it! If you already did that, then that's already a good start :)
But do not follow what other companies say, it's marketing fluff, you're alone. You're a single dev, if you say BS, people will remember that.
Unigine do tech demos, they don't care, they don't expect the users to do things that isn't meant to be done.
I've been open about that since day 1. I've made it very clear on my Patreon site of all the drawbacks the tech has. So I never lied to my audience as Boris claims. Also I still think RT as name qualifies - shadertoy shaders that raytrace shapes made with SDFs are also raytraced - where's the difference to construct a shape with a SDF or indexed by a texture, since the depth buffer is essentially a height field.
There's also no reason to be so offended and attack Boris this way even if you're upset, man :/
It's just shaders, lol.
He's slandered my work as he always does, of course I get agitated. Vice versa, it's his right to get upset when someone trashes ENB.

EDIT: Talked to some of these what Boris considers professionals, folks working in this field for a living. All agree that as long as I make clear that I'm tracing rays against the z buffer, it's ray tracing, for all intents and purposes and what Boris says is bs. So I'll continue to call it like that.
Last edited by Marty McFly on 19 Jun 2019, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

*sensei*

Let me just start by mentioning that I'm in no way a programmer or that I even understand it.

@Marty

When the majority of people see the term "ray tracing" anywhere, people think Nvidias RTX. So when they see comparison videos on YouTube, with your shaders Marty, they directly draw comparisons to RTX, which is both unfair and inaccurate.
Ray tracing is the latest buzz word in the industry, and people go crazy over it.

I can see why people are getting a little upset over why you chose to call it ray tracing. To many, including myself, ray tracing means the whole RTX package, which ReShade just cannot do. It's still rasterization. Though I know that ray tracing is just a term to describe the calculations of the effects...

But... I do think your stuff is amazing and looks really fantastic in certain scenes. And I love your QUINT shaders!!
I just wish I had a good PC to enjoy it. :D But you know, money....

@Boris

You should drop that "ffs everything that people do is bullshit" attitude.
Why not appreciate the work others are doing?
The whole post process modding scene is what it is today thanks to ENB and SweetFX.
Like Marty say, many are now happy to sacrifice frames per second to have a greater visual fidelity.
And that only mean good things. :)

I don't want to offend anyone. I'm very grateful to anyone who's creating things for free that people can use.
CGI ENB

I dont care this post is old.
Just some points:
1.Boris was the first, Marty etc were inspired by enb
2.Boris doesn't sell his work and make over $7000 a mouth.
3.Marty bringing up something personal Boris wrote him was mean, sad and petty.
4. The both of you need to get off your high horses and stop being narcissist @$$hats.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I'm not narcissic. I just hate unfair things and no matter what explanation is, the lie is the lie, the truth is the truth. When someone get famous brand name to make own product popular, it's a hype and usually in real world get punished via laws. I am not happy to see youtube or google flooded with "rtx" bullshit when i want to search something real about technology, same about raytracing. I can make in the mod something named "GeForce" and it will be exactly the same lie and violation of copyrights, but i never do this, cause it's my pride to bring users right things. Several times Take Two with Rockstars wanted to get my ass for modding, but because i'm good at my works, they not able to do anything, im clean. I treat people as equals and tried to help Marty in the past (i help everybody if not in bad mood or don't see i'm treated as shit by arrogant bitches who come here from time to time), but i can't just shut up. If he or someone else get offended and made me enemy, it's non of my business, i don't need fake friends who only want to hear sweet words and get my help, i had enough of such people and they are succeeded in life, but me still nowhere. It doesnt matter for me what to fight for as long as i think it's wrong and unfair, i hate Apple for their overpriced shit of not so good quality and all ways to get money from extra addons or services with artificial degradation to force people to upgrade, there is no more place left for old japanese high quality electronics like it was super cool in 80x-90x. I hate software with autoupdates and which do something without my control, hate Win10 and Microsoft for many things they did toward imbeciles who must stay with smartphones and get away from PC, people forced to waste lot of time and money, which also energy of out planet. All these motherfuckers for money tell tons of lie and in all possible ways say "it's not lie dear, it's just you don't understand how difficult things are, it's really so cool and you need it so much, we never lie, we are big companies, to take care of our customers is only goal". F* this shit.

1415gateway wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 18:34 I dont care this post is old.
Just some points:
1.Boris was the first, Marty etc were inspired by enb
2.Boris doesn't sell his work and make over $7000 a mouth.
3.Marty bringing up something personal Boris wrote him was mean, sad and petty.
4. The both of you need to get off your high horses and stop being narcissist @$$hats.

Exactly, I don't think the amount of money somebody makes can rely with the respect that he deserves.
I think both Marty and Boris are making awesome works but the problem is that Marty is doing it behind a strange Paywall system ( actually he earn about 25.000 euro per Month ) I think he confuses donations for an honest work.
The right Goal should be create something usefull to the community, not making only huge amont of money based on lies