Nvidia RTX (Ray-Tracing) in ENB?

• Author

Nvidia RTX (Ray-Tracing) in ENB?

Hey all, with Nvidia RTX graphics cards been released soon I was wondering if ENB would able to use the ray-tracing capabilities of the cards.
Is it dependent on DirectX implementation it before we could see it used?
Can it be used at all?
Thanks

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Nvidia RTX (Ray-Tracing) in ENB?

No, it's not any better idea than to ask tesselation everywhere on some old game. Raytrace means that game renderer must be converted to another technology, which is very hard to make without source code and will be slower. Scanline rendering in games is very different to raytrace and there is no information available for raytrace at all in usual games, i have to write (without souce code!) special manager which collect objects and convert them, because all i have is what camera can see. Next, raytrace is just a marketing lie, which is too slow and will be slow for many years, because highly depends from memory bandwidth, all demos presented have various ways to degrade quality to have playable performance instead of slide show. There are no effects which can have any benefits from raytracing when doing modding and which cant be replaced by existing techinques, only unique games with their own features have a chances to have something better, but after all users will not notice the difference.

update on this please, as it has been done in reshade by now... should be no problem with enb than right?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

There is no raytracing in ReShade, but just another foolish of players naming old things by modern fancy words to get attention. And this really piss me off.

*master*

Uh... there absolutely IS Ray Tracing in ReShade. It has obvious limitations of being screenspace only, but it IS RT. I have seen the shader code with my own eyes.

Remember that time you claimed your self-intersecting AO worked similar to Unigine's method? You realize Unigine calls that RAY TRACING right? This Reshade shader is doing the same thing...
What I'm doing is ray tracing in screen space, tracing rays against the depth buffer (a data buffer that contains the information how far an object is away, as opposed to the color buffer which tells you what color the object has and what you usually see in any game). When compared to DXR, it has several limitations: anything behind another object does not contribute, anything outside the screen does not contribute, backfaces do not contribute. The benefits of this shader is that it can run on every game and GPU and it’s a step up from regular SSAO.
Don't make false statements, Boris. At the very least, you should make sure you know what you're talking about before you start typing statements like: "There is no ray tracing in ReShade."

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

For fuck sake, stop this bullshit. I can call ao method as raytracing or screen space reflection, detailed shadows as raytracing (and especially brute force ssao/ssil in old skyrim). Raytracing always meant to trace geometry and always be. Voxel tracing, depth tracing are not the same thing as raytracing. For professionals it's like to miscall car as buldozer. What do you want from me? Make the same thing?

*sensei*

Boris I vote for calling your next enb feature "Advanced Physical Raytrace Global Screen Illumination Extravaganza"

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

LucidAPs Funny.
ENBSeries So Unigine lied then, calling their implementation "Screen-Space Ray-Traced Global Illumination"? Well, I'm only as smart as the input I have. But let me tell you something Mr. Professional: I'm a 20-something years old student, learning all this as a hobby. You've been doing this for a long time. my RT indeed is similar to your self intersecting and brute-force. Your shoddy encryption isn't an obstacle to me anymore, I compared your stuff vs mine out of curiosity, whatever the name for my shader is, it's faster and better looking, so start improving them, people are now willing to sacrifice fps for quality more than ever.
Learned a good deal from your shaders, too: I suggested using deinterleaved texturing for DX11 to speed up the AO, you told me to shut up and it's BS, what do I find in the DX11 SSAO? Deinterleaved texturing functions. 288 samples (lines*repeats*samples) for max quality complex AO and it's still that noisy? My own SSAO converges for 60 samples to being essentially noise free without the need for a filter.
Last edited by Marty McFly on 03 Jun 2019, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

I made an account, just so I can set things straight and prevent misinformation from spreading.
Before I go on: I highly respect your great work, am really thankful for what you have done, and am happy to see a fellow countryman making such an amazing project, but that doesn't rid you from being an utter douchebag and ass at times for unjust reasons.
ENBSeries wrote:For fuck sake, stop this bullshit. I can call ao method as raytracing or screen space reflection, detailed shadows as raytracing (and especially brute force ssao/ssil in old skyrim). Raytracing always meant to trace geometry and always be. Voxel tracing, depth tracing are not the same thing as raytracing. For professionals it's like to miscall car as buldozer. What do you want from me? Make the same thing?
First of all ray-tracing is a blanket term that is used the mathematical method used to calculate the shading. It only requires that you follow a ray within the scene and use its information to calculate the pixel's shading. The definition of it doesn't care about if you don't feel like this is right.

Granted, I'm not a professional so let me cite a few who are:

Code: Select all

Ray-tracing is a technique for computing the visibility between points. Light transport algorithms are designed to simulate the way light propagates through space (while interacting with objects). They are used (in short) to compute the color of a point in the scene. Do not mix ray-tracing with light transport algorithms. They are two different things. Ray-tracing is not a light-transport algorithm. It is only a technique to compute visibility between points.
This is taken from Scratchapixel, but this definition is backed up within Game Engine Architecture written by Jason Gregory (Lead Programmer at Naughty Dog Inc.) and Real-Time Rendering written by Tomas Akenine-Möller (Graphics Researcher at Nvidia), Eric Haines (Distinguished Engineer at Nvidia), and Naty Hoffman (Principal Engineer & Architect at Lucasfilm). If wished I will provide the page numbers so you can check for yourself if you are in possession of these books.
LucidAPs wrote:Boris I vote for calling your next enb feature "Advanced Physical Raytrace Global Screen Illumination Extravaganza"
Haven't you made that awful High Poly Project for Skyrim that turned out to be worse than applying the Mesh Smooth modifier to the meshes?

*master*

LOL again, Boris.

To answer your question from earlier: I want nothing from you. Absolutely nothing.