ENBSeries 0.181 for Oblivion crashes under Windows 10 v1703

• Author

ENBSeries 0.181 for Oblivion crashes under Windows 10 v1703

Specs wrote:Specs:
CPU: core i7-6700
Ram: 16GB
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
So I thought "yeah, let's play oblivion" sounded like a good idea - so I install it via steam, it launches just fine <have to launch it to write ini file for my mods>
I install 4gb patch because that's pretty much mandatory, still launches fine.

Ok, so time for ENB series, wrapper crashes and injector does nothing (yes I made sure Oblivion.exe is in enbinjector.ini, no text in corner to tell me it activated, screenshots are identical) - well w/e let's try installing directx runtime jun 2010, it still crashes.

Ok... what about an unpatched exe? Nope, still crashes.

Fine, let's iterate through all compatibility settings (XP SP1 through windows 7 tested, with and without run as admin, with and without fullscreen optimizations, with and without DPI scaling)... and still nothing.

The specific symptoms of the crash:
Start Oblivion from steam, from the oblivion folder - whatever.
Launcher opens and works fine.
If you click play the game crashes and the only solution is to delete or rename d3d9.dll to something like d3d9.dll.old

My settings as visible from launcher:

Here's debug output via MSVC debugger (I'd spoiler it but I don't see a spoiler BBcode available):
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'D:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Oblivion.exe'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\apphelp.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\AppPatch\AcLayers.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\win32u.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32full.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp_win.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ucrtbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cfgmgr32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SHCore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\bcryptprimitives.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\combase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\windows.storage.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shlwapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel.appcore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\powrprof.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\profapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaut32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mpr.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sfc.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winspool.drv'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\bcrypt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sfc_os.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SortWindows6Compat.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.15063.413_none_55bc94a37c2a2854\comctl32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dinput8.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dsound.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'D:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Oblivion\binkw32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wsock32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ws2_32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmmbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3dx9_27.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'D:\Games\SteamLibrary\GameOverlayRenderer.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\psapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mswsock.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\uxtheme.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\TextInputFramework.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CoreUIComponents.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\CoreMessaging.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WinTypes.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\usermgrcli.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntmarta.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\hid.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\devobj.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wintrust.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msasn1.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\crypt32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\clbcatq.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MMDevAPI.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\propsys.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\AudioSes.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\avrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'D:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Oblivion\d3d9.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'Oblivion.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\D3DX9_40.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The thread 0x2500 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x20c4 has exited with code -1073741795 (0xc000001d).
The thread 0x2a04 has exited with code -1073741795 (0xc000001d).
The thread 0x21e4 has exited with code -1073741795 (0xc000001d).
The thread 0x1ff0 has exited with code -1073741795 (0xc000001d).
The thread 0xd8c has exited with code -1073741795 (0xc000001d).
The thread 0x2324 has exited with code -1073741795 (0xc000001d).
The program '[2852] Oblivion.exe' has exited with code -1073741795 (0xc000001d) 'Illegal Instruction'.
Useful, I know /s
At least you know I don't have the PDB's for any of the DLL's (and neither do you most likely, well the windows ones you can install PDBs for) and that d3d9.dll <enb series wrapper dll> doesn't have debug symbols, we also know that oblivion exited with 0xc000001d 'Illegal Instruction' which doesn't help much either.

Is there a build of 0.181 that has debug symbols? I don't want 0.256 because it's ENBoost and only has ENBoost capabilities, can't run an ENB on that - moreover I suspect it would display the same symptoms.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: ENBSeries 0.181 for Oblivion crashes under Windows 10 v1

Sorry, i think it's problem of win10. I can't test it and don't want actually. Can only suggest to try disable xbox*** something, windows game explorer, all software which hook in to game process to monitor or tweak something. Steam overlay also is an evil.