Clocks Spikes at regular interval after playing Skyrim

• Author

Clocks Spikes at regular interval after playing Skyrim

Hello!

Before anything, please endure my bad english, since its not my native language, sorry.

The hardware involved is an MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G, with Nvidia drivers version 353.62, just recently adquired.

Of course, im using ENB, version 0.279, with RealVision preset. Skyrim is updated (Legendary Edition) and i have several mods active, including heavy texture replacements.

I use GPU-Z as monitor tool.

To the point: after playing skyrim, and only this game (i also tried with 3 others and 3 bench tools), my GPU presents an unusual behavior, GPU and memory clocks suffer spikes in regular intervals when in idle. The spikes only last 3 seconds o so, then 10 to 20 seconds of peace, and again, and so on to infinity. This only occurs after closing Skyrim. The GPU load seems to keep in idle state, or at least doesnt have a significant change, meaning that this doesnt seem to be related to stray load of other software. I check with Process Explorer but the only load on the GPU was the csrss.exe from Windows, with very small spikes (under 2%), wich also observed when in idle before launching Skyrim, but didnt generate the regular clocks spikes.
One last detail, when the clocks go up, the memory controller load goes down to 0%, then when the clocks go down again to idle state, the memory controller load takes a constant 4 to 5 % value.

If i restart the PC, all goes back to normal.

I believe my problem is the same than this user -> https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/c ... r_playing/, but that is everything i could find.

Anyway, i suspect could be something related to the use of ENB, since of the games im currently playing, Skyrim is the only one that uses it. But, even if it isnt ENB related, your knowledge of GPU, DirectX and Skyrim is my best posible source for an explanation.

Again, sorry if reading this is an awful experience do to my english.

Many Thanks for any insight on the matter!!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Clocks Spikes at regular interval after playing Skyrim

Oh man, i'm so sick of complains regarding the mod instead of hardware, drivers and crapware faults. How in the heck mod able to run after game is closed? This is fucking rediculous.

Well, im sorry if the post sounded like a complain, when its really very far from it. I was actually searching for some explanation, even if it is not related to the mod, as i stated above. Maybe i actually have a much more complicated problem with my english.

Its really obvious that the mod itself couldnt cause this behavior since as i allready said, its closed, however, it only appears after playing Skyrim. Ok, drivers related, o maybe something with the Skyrim vanilla engine, hardware related, i really dont know, and there is where my post was pointing, to some info that clarify the cause from someone that knows about this things.

I understand that you only respond to something the ENB mod is causing, ok, my bad there.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience, i actually consider your work with ENB to be amazing, so my apology is sincere.

Bye.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

If player trying to examine such low level issues, then he/she must understand how things works, what is possible and why. You may ask at NVidia forum as proper place to find the answer, but there only fanboys spamming with zero knowledge. May be guru3d forum. But at any case you are unable to do anything about that, knowledge about such problem just adds extra headache.

knowledge about such problem just adds extra headache
You may be right about that :mrgreen:

Its as you say, the explanation could mean nothing or even more questions. I guess that my main concern here is the fear of hardware damage / malfunction do to this spikes, since appear to be caused by something "stuck" in driver level.

The card seems to work perfect, no CTDs, no lags, temperatures are low, Skyrim plays like a charm with the ENB and RealVision Full preset enable, so i will assume is nothing seriuos.

I could continue to reboot after Skyrim just in case anyway, not confortable, but effective in bringing peace of mind to an ignorant like me :oops:

Maybe updating the drivers in the future solves anything. At least the native vBios that came with the card is updated, so nothing to do there.

Anyway, thanks for the attention and response!!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Try to change something in nvidia control panel (toggle anisotropy f.e.), may be driver will be partially reset then. Or start another 3d application after Skyrim and check if something changes.

Hello.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both but no luck.

One new detail, that i really dont know why i didnt tried before :oops: , with ENB disabled (removed d3d9.dll and enbhost.exe from Skyrim directory), the problem persit. So is clearly not ENB related (most likely Skyrim doesnt get along well with this drivers and the GTX970 i guess).

Of course, updating the drivers is my next move. I really dont like updating if everything works fine, thats why since this seems to be a minor problem (if it can really be called a "problem"), i will refrain doing so until last moment.

If you have any other ideas, they will be very welcome, Thank You!!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Rename skyrim process may be, to prevent any driver specific tweaks?

It works!! or at least it what appears. Thank you very much!!

Only tested it once, because i had to sacrifice SKSE do to the name changing of the TESV.exe. Without SKSE the game is unplayable for me (do to the mods), but how to launch a different .exe from SKSE is a problem for other forum :roll:
However, i do launch with ENB enable.

So, launched Skyrim from the new named .exe, load a save with gizillion mods, past the 3 or four SKSE missing errors, and there it was the game working. The first interesting thing was that it loaded the save without crashing do to SKSE not been there, that was already something.
Anyway, fought some guards, get killed, exit to the menu, and to desktop, and the clocks remain calm as i write this post, success! (?)

Of course, i will conduct more tests, and find a proper way to launch with SKSE enabled, to finally confirm that the solution is permanent. So, ill be back :mrgreen:

... it couldnt be SKSE right? i mean, it doesnt mess with anything graphics related... :?

Oh, one last thing, should i expect something in particular do to not using the special profile Nvidia so kinly include in their drivers? i suspect the inmidiate thing will be lower performance, i hope not to serious :( .

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

SKSE can't do that. And i don't think you will loose something by not using driver profile for the game. Driver developers apply bugfixes for games, but skyrim runs ok even with drivers which was released before the game.