[Solved] Poor skyrim performance on 980 ti

• Author

[Solved] Poor skyrim performance on 980 ti

I have tried both RealVision and Seasons of Skyrim, with no enb I get around 90fps with all other mods enabled, with an enb at full that drops to 20fps, and goes up to around 40fps with lower settings.

That's almost the same results I get from my much less powerfull 650 ti.

Re: [Solved] Poor skyrim performance on 980 ti

Self solved! For anyone who runs into this, skyrim was defaulting to run at a 4k resolution and then scaling down to try and force texture res up, this caused a huge amount of resources to be wasted.

*master*

Im curious what you mean by Skyrim was forcing it to render at 4k and down sampling.... Did you have that feature turned on, on accident? I have 2 980ti's in SLI so I am curious. I did notice with my cards, that any ENB seems very sensitive to ENBlocal.ini settings, more so than what I'm used to back with my 670's a couple of years ago. I'm also on an ultra widescreen monitor now, 3440x1440, so I'm rendering a decent amount without going over board. The only issue I am really running into, is once I hit 5500 MB in VRAM, it starts studdering really really badly. Have you run into this at all? I don't know a lot of 980ti owners, let alone in this forum, so I saw your thread and figured I'd come say hi :) Thanks.

*master*

So after reading up on the forums, it looks like its a problem of Direct X on Windows 8/8.1/10, which Im in that group, about not allowing more than 4GB of VRAM no matter what. What Im confused by is that when using GPU-Z and/or skyrim performance monitor, I regular hit over 5+GB of VRAM constantly. What is this fix you spoke of? Im thinking about loading up Windows 7 on a small 120 GB SSD I have and keep using my 1TB SSD between both OS's.