Strange shades on terrain with version 0.499 in Skyrim SE

fixing bugs
  • Author

Strange shades on terrain with version 0.499 in Skyrim SE

Starting with version 0.499 for TES Skyrim SE, I get strange flickering shades/shadows on terrain when moving with ENB ambient occlusion enabled. With ENB AO disabled, the shadows don't appear.

It's hard to describe: it looks like flickering terrain shades/shadows/stripes, which are typically positioned at a right angle to the movement direction and can be seen almost only when moving. They can be best seen on snow terrain, but also on roads and other terrain when moving.

With versions 0.494 and older, I don't get these flickering shadows with ENB AO enabled. It started with version 0.499, which I downloaded for the first time on December 4th and on all newer 0.499 versions.

These flickering shadows don't appear when turning off ENB AO in 0.499 and enabling the in-game vanilla AO (for testing purposes). I use Rudy ENB.

What could cause such a behaviour?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Strange shades on terrain with version 0.499 in Skyrim SE

Optimization most likely. Try to change ResolutionScale (and maybe SourceTexturesScale too) a bit, probably you have too much low. And give me your [SSAO_SSIL] parameters with game resolution info, so i could check myself. Screenshot would be good too, at which angles to look.

Screen resolution is 2560x1440. I have attached my enbseries.ini.

Resolution scale was 0.5 and SourceTexturesScale 0.25. I have both set to 1 now for testing and the flickering/shimmering seems to have vanished. Is "1" a reasonable value?

I have also made an in-game video: https://we.tl/t-EdGieyeqC4

The flickering/shimmering can be best seen in the first few seconds on the snow (running down below Helgen). However it definitely can be seen in the game much more pronounced. The video somehow hides the flickering/shimmering quite a bit.
Attachments
2560x1440 enbseries.ini
(43.57 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Size scale 1 is too big, will cost you performance a lot. SourceTexturesScale is the primary reason of low quality seems, when set it to 0.5 instead of 0.25, then much better. Anyway, i will spend more time on tweaking, thanks for report.

I have now set SourceTexturesScale to 0.5 and left Resolution scale at 0.5 -> the flickering is gone. Thank you so much for your support and providing ENB!