Fallout New Vegas: enbhost.exe not starting

fixing bugs
  • Author

Fallout New Vegas: enbhost.exe not starting

I updated my Fallout New Vegas ENB to the latest version (.322), and am now getting "Out of Memory" CTDs. Checking my task manager, enbhost.exe is not running at all, at any point in time (not running with 0mb usage like other people seem to have). I've tried messing around with the enblocal.ini settings, ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false helps somewhat, but does not get enbhost.exe working, and still eventually crashes. My game is heavily modded, so these crashes are not unexpected with enbhost not working.

Here's my enblocal.ini settings:

https://pastebin.com/Dbwphzin

I have also tried making all of the exes set to run as administrator, as well as compatibility mode. The one forum thread I found that might be relevant was this one viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5657&p=77906, since I use the latest nvse, but running without nvse did not help.

Thank you!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: Fallout New Vegas: enbhost.exe not starting

Its not mod issue, its other application messing around (antivirus f.e.).

ENBSeries wrote:Its not mod issue, its other application messing around (antivirus f.e.).
I don't have any antivirus running, and made sure to exit as many applications as possible before running the game to eliminate possible interference. I only had basic system programs, steam, mod organizer, and new vegas running, with windows defender completely disabled and no AV installed, and it still doesn't work.

Here you can see all the processes running as the game CTDs

https://imgur.com/a/BRYkw

(I realize the steam overlay is running here, I retested it with the overlay disabled just to make sure that wasn't the problem, I had forgotten to disable it)

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Maybe it mod organizer? I cant help anyway.

ENBSeries wrote:Maybe it mod organizer? I cant help anyway.
I finally got enbhost.exe running (it seems disabling EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks fixed it, even though I swear I had already tried that), but it seems nothing is ever loaded to it. The free VRAM command does not seem to affect the FNV memory usage either, does this mean that my memory usage is not a texture issue (and thus cannot be fixed by ENBoost)?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I recommend you to try VMMap tool to measure memory usage. Load saved game, run this tool, choose game process and see how much memory is used with ENBoost enabled and without it enabled. If you see big difference, but CTD still occurs, then its some other reason of crashes, not out of memory.