[Skyrim] Character Glowing Issue.

fixing bugs
  • Author

[Skyrim] Character Glowing Issue.

Hiya,
I've spent the past few days troubleshooting and searching for answers and have yet to find anything that's helped this issue.
The problem is that my character and seemingly all other NPCs have an aura / glow around their models (Especially noticeable against walls). I've only noticed the issue on characters and not other objects / models.

I'm currently using Aeon ENB for NLVA and the latest ENB Binaries v0.319
I've tried different; ENB Presets, ENB Binary Versions, Nvidia Graphics Drivers, Removing all other mods not required by Aeon ENB preset, various Skyrim.ini / SkyrimPrefs.ini tweaks and ENBSeries.ini / ENBLocal.ini tweaks to no avail...
Of course this could simply be a problem with a select few ENB presets but if I can understand what's happening then I know what presets to avoid.

The only thing that seemed to alleviate the issue is to disable Ambient Occlusion within ENB but I'm not sure if that's simply because it causes the shadowing to disappear against the floor and walls making it less noticeable.

Video of the problem = https://youtu.be/bzvh4MVau7w
NOTE - the effect is noticeable primarily against the wall; above the shoulder of my character in 3rd person and on the edges of the sword when it passes across the wall in 1st person. The bow in the video shows it the best across the grass as the bow string is pulled.

For reference the following links are my .ini files used when the video was created in case they're of use:

Skyrim.ini = https://pastebin.com/rT32t1Wu
SkyrimPrefs.ini = https://pastebin.com/GXj8mttr
ENBLocal.ini = https://pastebin.com/A0Au4y9n
ENBSeries.ini = https://pastebin.com/12vmDtVJ (Aeon ENB preset does use weatherlists and has individual .ini's for each weather-type.)

Although its not a big issue it's certainly one of those issues that once you see it, you never unsee it...
Hope someone has some insight / suggestions.
Thanks!

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: [Skyrim] Character Glowing Issue.

Because its screen space effect, such bug is negative side effect of it. But on your video its too much intense, so must be because of type of ao used and too high bluriness. Try change your parameters to these:

Code: Select all

[SSAO_SSIL]
EnableSupersampling=false
UseIndirectLighting=true
UseComplexIndirectLighting=true
UseComplexAmbientOcclusion=true
UseAmbientIndirectLighting=true
SamplingQuality=0
SamplingPrecision=0
SamplingRange=0.5
FadeFogRange=5.0
SizeScale=1
SourceTexturesScale=0.35
EnableComplexFilter=true
FilterQuality=2
FilterType=3
AOAmount=0.94
AOAmountInterior=1.2
ILAmount=0.5
ILAmountInterior=1.0
AOIntensity=1.4
AOIntensityInterior=2.0
AOType=0
ILType=0
AOMixingType=0
AOMixingTypeInterior=0
EnableDenoiser=true
And increase AOAmount, AOAmountInterior, ILAmount, ILAmountInterior to make things looks good. For higher performance can set SizeScale to bit lower, for example 0.75-0.9.

After trying the suggested settings I've found that inside interior cells the glow has gone using this particular setting:

[SSAO_SSIL]
AOMixingTypeInterior=0

Unfortunately outside the problem is still apparent, even after changing the outside version of the same setting "AOMixingType=0".

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

First person models are much bigger, so if you stay close enough to something, this bug will be very noticable, so make sure its not that case. You can disable complex ao too.

I understood the first person limitation with AO to some degree after reading up on this issue, so that one I can get used to (just don't look directly at the floor or hug walls :P)...
But what I mean't in my previous reply is that the same issue that happened inside interior cells is continuing to happen outside. (i.e. faint glowing around NPCs and my character even when in 3rd person.) Which I don't believe is the first person models being much bigger as I'm not in first person when it happens.

I did try disabling "UseComplexAmbientOcclusion" and the same for all other settings within "[SSAO_SSIL]" that can be set to "true / false" but the glowing simply gets fainter but doesn't disappear.

After more troubleshooting however I have found that turning off ALL ENB [EFFECTS] (Including; Ambient Occlusion, Bloom, Skylighting etc.) but leaving "Detailed Shadows" on causes the issue to appear... Doing the same thing again but this time leaving ONLY "Ambient Occlusion" On causes the glowing to appear too, it is however, less noticeable.
So seemingly its an issue tied between both "Ambient Occlusion" and "Detailed Shadows".
Any ideas?..

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Hmm, maybe you dnt have bilateral filtering enabled for detailed shadows or use some kind of dynamic rescaling/upscaling/downscaling? Or have wrong setting in skyrimprefs.ini, there is a parameter about number of passes of shadows, i cant remember its name, usually it is set 3, probably this one iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3. Maybe you can show screenshots for better quality? You see, the setting i gave you for ssao are same for both exterior and interior, because changed not just ***Interior values, so exterior should work fine too. And last idea, maybe camera setting is changed by mod or manually, so far and/or near clip distances modified too much and ao is scaled wrongly now. Try to make shots with character at different distances from same wall and camera too from various distances, maybe there is some dependency.

Tried disabling and enabling Bilateral Filtering within [SHADOWS] to no effect. I also changed the "iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3" to "0, 3, 5" to no effect either.
As for rescaling I can't find anything that would suggest accidental use of it apart from "DSR - Factors" and "DSR - Smoothness" within Nvidia Control Panel's Global Settings which I switched off for the sake of completeness and that didn't do anything either.

After more testing however it's certainly a "Detailed Shadows" issue but it could simply be a game / graphics limitation I'm noticing as I've tested other ENB Presets that use
older ENB Binaries OR different / no lighting or weather mods and the effect's still there until I Disable "Detailed Shadows", then the issue disappears on all Presets I tried.

I even reinstalled the game completely. Allowed new .ini files to be created and tried installing JUST the ENB Preset + it's required weather mods and making only the required changes to the Skyrim.ini & SkyrimPrefs.ini files that are needed in order for ENB to operate correctly (i.e. bDrawLandShadows=1, bTreesRecieveShadows=1 / bFloatPointRenderTarget=1 etc.) and the issue still persists...

Below is a video of the current issue I'm noticing. (Note that all other ENB [EFFECTS] apart from "AO and "Detailed Shadows" are disabled, so the glow isn't as "Bloomy" I guess you could say...)
Low Quality = https://gfycat.com/FreeHandsomeAndalusianhorse (I too don't understand this weird URL...)
High Quality = https://mega.nz/#!DwAHWYZC!-EVZFqitL5Ys ... ZkQBm5Qk1U

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Ehh, sorry, i totally forgot that detailed shadows are also screen space shadows. It is totally normal for them to have bugs like that. They are traced in depth of screen.

Ohh, Okay...
Irritating thing to start noticing but hey, what can you do.
Appreciate the help and insight.
Thanks!