Calling proxy library doesn't work when launched through MO2

fixing bugs
  • Author

Calling proxy library doesn't work when launched through MO2

Hello! Desperately hoping you can help me. Playing Skyrim Special Edition, I can successfully use the [PROXY] settings in enblocal.ini to also run the Helixmod 3D Fixes so I can run an ENB together with NVidia 3D Vision. It's absolutely stunning - seriously glorious. But for some unknown reason, it doesn't work when running through Mod Organizer 2 (I've only tried the latest version 2.1.1). It simply fails immediately when trying to launch the game. I already brought it up to the modders at both Helixmod and Mod Organizer 2, and unfortunately they don't have a lot of experience with proxy libraries, and aren't sure what could be causing it. One of the main guys on the MO2 discord channel was able to replicate the issue - if he starts the game normally (and I can confirm it works with Nexus Mod Manager also) and sets the 3D Fix DLL as the proxy in enblocal.ini, he'll get some errors (because he doesn't have 3D Vision hardware), but the game will start up. If he does so through MO2, though, it fails immediately. Doesn't even really start or generate a shred of useful log information. It just exits "gracefully" and immediately for him like it does for me.

After discovering this issue about a month ago, well, I didn't want to be a pain and figured I'd just give up the wonderfulness that is MO2, and just use NMM to mod my game. Then last night, NMM crashed twice consecutively and completely destroyed a month's hard work of installation (all mods deactivated despite the files still being in the Data folder, and all plugins still activated for deactivated mods). I'm never trusting it again.

I know it's not really a "bug", since the ENB Proxy Library intended functionality works under normal conditions, i.e., in anything except Mod Organizer. But the folks at both Helixmod and MO2 can't really know how you're making the proxy functionality work and what kind of conflict could make it stop working, and it would be a huge time investment for them to figure it out from scratch. If someone here could perhaps at least give a direction for them to look, a theory they could work with, a known limitation that needs to be avoided, it might help them be willing to invest the time to make it possible to use ENB+3D Fix (and I'm assuming any other proxy library)+MO2 all working together.

Thanks for your awesome ENB work - it really makes an amazing difference - and I really don't even want to play the game if I can't use it. Unfortunately, the same holds true for 3D Vision (they are amazing together). So... a thousand thanks in advance for any help you can provide for this issue!

EDIT P.S.: This is on Windows 10 Pro version 1709, by the way. I've disabled all the Xbox junk it tries to inject, no MSI Afterburner, and even disabled the steam overlay, but didn't help. Without MO2, running it directly, I was actually able to run ENB+3D Fixes+Steam Overlay without any real problems. Could do MSI afterburner overlay too instead of steam overlay. But with MO2, can't even do just ENB+3D Fix.

Re: Calling proxy library doesn't work when launched through

This is has nothing to do with ENB. This is a Mod Organizer bug.

I am a developer working on Mod Organizer and have previously investigated the issue. The user is totally wrong when he says "it's not really a bug", it is a bug, just not an ENB bug but a Mod Organizer bug. Don't waste your time on this, this is not your issue.

Thanks for your great work.

Re: Calling proxy library doesn't work when launched through

Turns out it wasn't an MO2 bug after all. The issue was in the Helixmod 3D Fixes, and that issue has been solved in testing, and I'm sure will be released before too much time passes. Just wanted to note this for future reference if someone finds this thread.