DoF with v0.319

fixing bugs
  • Author

DoF with v0.319

Hi!
I just upgraded to v0.319 (from 0.308) and found the "Toggle DoF" keyboard shortcut isn't working anymore. To enable DoF I need to use "Enable Prepass" now. "Enable DepthofField" has no effect anymore.
How do I get the toggle shortcut back?

Also I noticed that distant flames are now always sharp and in focus, even with DoF (aka prepass) enabled.
I can minimize this "effect" by turning down AF Far Blur Curve in the ENB control panel but that smears my background completely AND the flames are still somewhat in focus. How can I fix this?
https://i.imgur.com/INYigVp.jpg

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Re: DoF with v0.319

For the first problem, rename your enbeffectprepass.fx to enbdepthoffield.fx.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Regarding flames, maybe you are using official bloom code? If i remember, did some fixes for it (i did very long time ago, but forgot to replace file and remembered about it recently when worked on Fallout3 version). And i didn't any other changes if remember.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

I'm using the original bloom, is it updated in the latest fallaut 3 binaries ?

English is not my native language.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 Super, 64GB ram

mindflux wrote:For the first problem, rename your enbeffectprepass.fx to enbdepthoffield.fx.
Thanks! I'll try that ASAP.
ENBSeries wrote:Regarding flames, maybe you are using official bloom code?
I have no idea. It's the Vividian ENB preset from Mangaclub, version 7.35.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36067/?

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Guzio
Yes, it's updated. But you can do similar changes yourself, it just need half pixel offset code.

Hallodria
I don't think that preset is what im talking about, so the issue is strange, i didnt make any changes to dof, except renaming files. So if you rename and enable depth of field only, it should be the same. Sorry, no idea how to help.

ENBSeries wrote:Sorry, no idea how to help.
That's alright, no worries. I don't even use DoF during regular gameplay, only for taking screenshots.
I think part of the problem I have is that the *.fx files of the ENB preset I use need to be in the /enbseries subfolder but I saw the ones that come with the binary download reside in the Skyrim main folder.

Anyway, I renamed the enbeffectprepass.fx that I was using to enbdepthoffield.fx, like mindflux suggested. That immediately fixed my hotkey issue.
Then I saw that the enb created a new file named enbdepthoffield.fx.ini and I edited that with the values of my old prepass ini, which got me pretty close to the look I want. The rest was merely finetuning.
That thing with the flames being in focus, well, I'm going to have to work around it. No biggie.

You must have made some really cool changes to the code since version 0.308 - I'm getting improved performance and (subjectively) a better overall look, which is great! Thank you.
I can even hear the new binary is more efficient because the cooling fans of my computer are quieter now! Seriously, that's great - thanks so much.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

By the way, does the dof issue occur with all types of fire or just some?

mindflux wrote:By the way, does the dof issue occur with all types of fire or just some?
I haven't experimented much myself yet but users in the commentary box of Rudy ENB on Nexus have reported similar findings with many kinds of hand-held spells, fire and others.

*blah-blah-blah maniac*

Well, I don't seem to have the same problem with dof (tested with 0.319 and kingeric's shader from Rudy ENB) so hard to say, maybe an issue with a fire related mod.